Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Greg Bailey

Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

Post by Greg Bailey »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18567: mouse is eratic in Windows 10 after update 6.04 >>> 6.06

Reports so far

• Reporter            Host        Guest           Monitors (HiDPI)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Greg Bailey         Win10       C7.6-64         
    notandor            F29-64      Win7            2 (?)
    dciarnie            F29         Win10/U18.04      (?)
    NickP               Win10x64    M19/Raspbian    2 (?)
    spike6479           -           -               2 (?)
    karolbe             Suse15      WinXP/7x64      2 (?)
    mahansbane/*seeker  -           Win10           5 (?)
    *Jurg               Mint        Win10             (?)
    *proof              Win10       Win7              (?)
    *reinhard           Mint18.3    Win7              (?)
    *Spike              -           Win7            2 (?)

* = from the bugtracker

Host: VirtualBox 6.0.6 Windows 10 Enterprise
Guest: CentOS 7.6.1810 (3.10.0-957.10.1.el7.x86_64 kernel) with VirtualBox 6.0.4 guest additions running MATE 1.16 desktop from EPEL

After upgrading the Windows 10 host from VirtualBox 6.0.4 to VirtualBox 6.0.6, the mouse is behaving erratically, in that clicks don't appear to register correctly.

A left-button single click on an item in the panel would normally launch an app, but now it appears to turn the icon grey (as if perhaps only the click-down was registered?) A right mouse click brings up the usual menu, and then using the left mouse button appears to select items from that pop-up menu. Clicking the left mouse button on the background, the panel, and on menus usually doesn't appear to have any effect.

This seems similar to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90267 and I've tried the workaround for that issue by logging out and back in, but the problem is still there.

I've changed nothing on the guest VM -- it's still running guest additions 6.0.4.
Last edited by socratis on 19. Apr 2019, 03:21, edited 2 times in total.
notandor

Re: Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade

Post by notandor »

Yep, confirm same overhere
host fedora 29 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64
guest w7 ga 6.0.4 & 6.0.6

This is with 2&3D enabled and dual monitor. Staretd with vboxvga and later tried svga without luck. Now @6.04, will make a log later and try single monitor.

in "scaled mode" the mouse works correct.

Just tried 6.0.6 on a laptop (single screen) with the same result: weird mouse. So it's also on single screen.
Last edited by notandor on 24. Apr 2019, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 6.0.6 release

Post by socratis »

@Greg Bailey, notandor
I merged your "Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade" thread with the "Discuss the 6.0.6 release". That's where it should be in the first place.
Turns out that the thread needed a life of its own, too many reports to guarantee a stand-alone thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

As somebody else found, the mouse is seriously broken in this release.
I have both a Windows 10 guest and an Ubuntu 18.04 guest running on an up to date Fedora 29 host. Mouse clicks are pretty much ignored in both guests making things basically unusable.
Everything works just fine with 6.0.4.
NickP

Mouse buttons in Linux guests not working after 6.0.6 upgrade

Post by NickP »

I have two Linux guests (Mint 19 and Raspbian Stretch) on a Windows 10 x64 host. The mouse buttons in both VMs work fine with Virtualbox 6.0.4, but as soon as I upgrade to 6.0.6, the mouse buttons stop working in both guests - the mouse pointer is still active in the window, because if I pause the mouse over a tray icon, I get the tooltip, but neither mouse button works. This problem happens both before and after installing the 6.0.6 guest additions. I downloaded both the 6.0.6 install exe and extpack files a second time, and ran a binary compare on the two downloads, which found no differences, so I don't think the files were corrupted during the download.

I first encountered the problem with running the VMs under 6.0.6 but before the 6.0.6 guest additions had been installed, so I installed the 6.0.6 guest additions in the VMs, but that didn't fix the problem. So I closed the guests, restored the VMs from backup, uninstalled Virtualbox 6.0.6, installed 6.0.4 and 6.0.4 extpack, ran the guests, and confirmed that the mouse worked correctly. Closed the guests and installed 6.0.6 and 6.0.6 extpack. On running the VMs, the mouse buttons in neither VM worked. I shut down the VMs, which had not had the 6.0.6 guest additions installed in them, uninstalled 6.0.6 and reinstalled 6.0.4, and the mouse buttons in the VMs now work correctly.

Anyone else had a similar problem? For the moment I'm obviously sticking with 6.0.4.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@NickP
I merged your topic with the "Discuss the 6.0.6 release", since this is a 6.0.6 specific issue. a similar thread.
NickP wrote:Anyone else had a similar problem?
9 reports with 11 reporters so far:
  1. Greg Bailey (the very first reply to this thread)
  2. notandor
  3. dciarnie
  4. Nick P
  5. spike6479
  6. karolbe
  7. User 'nine76evil' from the IRC last night, Manjaro 18 host, Whonix-XFCE Workstation.
  8. Ticket #18567: mouse is eratic in Windows 10 after update 6.04 >>> 6.06 with 3 additional reporters; Jurg, proof, reinhard
  9. Ticket #18573: Mouse buttons not working on monitor 2.
I tried to replicate the last config (nine76evil) on two hosts (OSX 10.11.6, Win10-64 1809), just because I already had the VM, and couldn't replicate it. I have also been running a barrage of hosts/guests combinations since 6.0.6 came out, but I haven't seen that weird mouse behavior.

Which begs the question; why I don't see it, and 4 other independent users do. What's the common denominator? Going with a hunch, my gut feeling, I think that it might be a combination of 3D acceleration and the vGPU (Graphics Controller). I'm coming from the pre-6.0.x era, so all my VMs are using 3D=on/vGPU=VBoxVGA (the older one). What are the rest of you using, can we make a works/fails matrix?

Actually it would be best if each of you posted a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
 Edit: Updated report/reference count 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
spike6479

Re: Mouse buttons in Linux guests not working after 6.0.6 upgrade

Post by spike6479 »

NickP wrote:The mouse buttons in both VMs work fine with Virtualbox 6.0.4, but as soon as I upgrade to 6.0.6, the mouse buttons stop working in both guests
I am having very similar problems with 6.0.6. The problem only occurs when the VM screen is on monitor 2. If I move the screen to monitor 1 (the main monitor) every thing works fine.
karolbe

Post by karolbe »

After upgrade to 6.0.6 my Windows VMs (XP and 7) are unusable, mouse is behaving incorrectly when VirtualBox window is on the secondary monitor. When I move the window to the primary monitor all seems to be OK. Pretty bizarre situation.

On the secondary monitor symptoms are following.

When the mouse pointer is on the right part of the screen of the secondary monitor all is OK, however on the left part of the screen of the secondary monitor following things happen:
  • mouse pointer is not visible, it shows up for a moment when I click left mouse button, then when I move it it disappears again
  • seems like left mouse button is swapped with the middle mouse button, so e.g. when I am trying to log into Windows and I left click on the password text field it does not get focused, I have to press middle mouse button. On the Windows desktop when I press left mouse button I can see the rectangle selection being drawn on the screen, I am unable to click on any of the icons etc.
  • when I disable mouse integration it improves a bit - mouse buttons behave properly, but then the mouse pointer moves only on parts of the screen e.g. just 2/3 to the right, or it gets limited to the left part of the screen.
Everything was working fine prior to 6.0.6 upgrade, obviously I have the latest Guest Additions etc.

UPDATE:
I have just downgraded to 6.0.4 and all is behaving normally again.
Attachments
Windows7 -Work-CURRENT-2019-04-18-21-34-28.log
(88.73 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)

Post by socratis »

@karolbe
I merged your post with the thread dealing with the subject.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
mahansbane

Post by mahansbane »

I have the same problem, when I upgraded from 6.0.4 to 6.0.6; my mouse buttons do not work on the Windows 10 guests, however, only on my primary monitor in full screen or seamless mode. I have a five monitor set up and the guests work normally on the other 4 monitors (including in full screen and seamless modes). This is an inconvenience that I hope is corrected soon. If one has questions let me know. Thanks for your time.
NickP

Re: Mouse buttons in Linux guests not working after 6.0.6 upgrade

Post by NickP »

spike6479 wrote:I am having very similar problems with 6.0.6. The problem only occurs when the VM screen is on monitor 2. If I move the screen to monitor 1 (the main monitor) every thing works fine.
I'm running two monitors, so after seeing this I checked, and I can replicate this behaviour. If I drag the VM to monitor 1, no problem with the mouse at all.

Edit: on my system, the mouse problem on monitor 2 with VMs under 6.0.6 seems to be because I had the scale set to 150% - I have two equal physical size monitors, but monitor 1 is 2560x1600 resolution and monitor 2 is 3840x2160 resolution, so I had monitor 2 set to 150% scale so that GUI elements were approximately the same size on both monitors. If I set monitor 2 to 100% scale, then I have no mouse problems with the VMs on either monitor, but I then have GUI elements appearing too small for comfort on monitor 2.

I've attached the log from a Raspberry Pi session with the problem.
Attachments
Raspberry Pi-2019-04-19-12-08-17.zip
(26.92 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Last edited by NickP on 19. Apr 2019, 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm starting to see what's going on here. Everyone that mentioned a 2nd (or more) monitor, is reporting a problem. I've made a summary at the first post of what I could gather from the information... :?
socratis wrote:If only someone listened and posted a VBox.log...
You can at least confirm that this is a multiple-monitor issue, that seems to affect a whole lot of different host/guest combinations.

I just need to to confirm the following and/or fill in the missing gaps:
  • Host: Complete details. Version/Build/Revision/Bits. Win10 is not an OS, it's a family.
  • Guest: Same as the host.
  • Monitors: How many, HiDPI or not, and where/how do you lose the mouse.
leenux_tux

Mouse integration strange behaviour in full screen mode

Post by leenux_tux »

Hello Forum,

A few details of the config first...
Host, Linux Mint Rosa 17.3
Guest, Windows 7
VirtualBox version 6.0.6r130049, QT5.6.1 (recently upgraded from 5.2)

I have a really strange issue whereby the mouse just does random clicks (sometime left, sometimes right) inside the Windows guest when moving the mouse and trying to click on things. Sometimes trying to click on the start button highlights all of the shortcuts on the desktop, all very strange. This only happens in full screen mode, as soon as I hit right-ctrl + F to exit full screen mode everything works perfectly. I have the latest edition of the guest additions installed as well. Has anyone else seen this problem and, if they have, how did they fix it ? I have been trawling through the forum (and google of course) but have not found anyone who has had this exact issue.

Thx
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Mouse integration strange behaviour in full screen mode

Post by socratis »

@leenux_tux
Do you have two monitors by any chance? It appears that there's a issue with 2 monitors and 6.0.6, see "Weird mouse behavior with VirtualBox 6.0.6 upgrade (#18567)".

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
geneing
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: OpenSuSE

Erratic mouse behavior after 6.0.6 update

Post by geneing »

After updating to 6.0.6 mouse behavior is erratic (Win host, Ubuntu 18.04 guest). It behaves as if the mouse button is pressed at random times. Downgrading to 6.0.4 resolved the issue. Wanted to give the heads up after wasting several hours debugging this issue.