[WorksForMe] VirtualBox won't let me encrypt my virtual hard drive.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
All Screws Loose
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Currently FreeDOS, MS-DOS/Win3.1, Win95, OS/2 Warp, Arch Linux, Kali Linux, TempleOS, and Visopsys

[WorksForMe] VirtualBox won't let me encrypt my virtual hard drive.

Post by All Screws Loose »

When I go to the Encryption tab and check "Enable encryption" is says "Invalid settings detected, even after I select the encryption method and enter two identical passwords. Some information that may be relevant: The disk image format is the default (VDI), the type is Windows 3.1, the disk capacity is configured to be 4 GB instead of the default 1 GB, and there is already an operating system installed (I don't know if you're allowed to encrypt a non-empty disk, but I don't see why you wouldn't be). The VM was powered down when I attempted encryption, so I know that's not the problem. I've already searched the web for how to properly encrypt a disk in VirtualBox, and the tutorials I found didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Apr 2019, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox won't let me encrypt my virtual hard drive.

Post by socratis »

Hover over the triangle with the warning, read the message as to which settings are invalid. It may not be your encryption settings at all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
All Screws Loose
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Currently FreeDOS, MS-DOS/Win3.1, Win95, OS/2 Warp, Arch Linux, Kali Linux, TempleOS, and Visopsys

Post by All Screws Loose »

I did that. It says I need to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack. I did install it, but it looks like VirtualBox can't find it, so I'll have to reinstall it. Thanks for the help. I think my problem is solved now.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Apr 2019, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As you figured out, the ExtPack is required for the VM encryption. Make sure that the ExtPack matches the version of the main VirtualBox program. Otherwise you're going to run into trouble.
All Screws Loose wrote: I think my problem is solved now.
Great. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.