Virtual Box froze while taking a snapshot, what are my options

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Panickingstudent

Virtual Box froze while taking a snapshot, what are my options

Post by Panickingstudent »

Hi!

So I'm in a bit of panic, my VirtualBox froze while taking a snapshot. Unfortunately, it's been awhile since I took a snapshot prior and I am extremely worried about losing all my completed homework assignments. Do you have any advice for this situation? I have attached a pic of my current screen showing where the snapshot was taken, as well as a screenshot of my snapshot saved folder. It shows that I do have a Virtual Disk Image saved, but I don't seem to have a SAV file. Is that bad?
Attachments
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (43.54 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (103.47 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box froze while taking a snapshot, what are my options

Post by socratis »

Panickingstudent wrote:and I am extremely worried about losing all my completed homework assignments
You... do have a backup of these assignments, right? They sound important enough to warrant a backup or two...
Panickingstudent wrote:It shows that I do have a Virtual Disk Image saved
It shows a bunch actually, but given just their UUIDs is like given an IKEA house parts with no instructions or part numbers! :shock:
Panickingstudent wrote:Is that bad?
Could be, it depends... I would like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Panickingstudent

Post by Panickingstudent »

You... do have a backup of these assignments, right? They sound important enough to warrant a backup or two...
Not of the most recent work, which is an issue I'll have to fix here.

Fortunately in the meantime of posting I found a solution and was able to clone the current state, even though it was frozen. So far it seems the clone has a copy of all my recent work. If anyone else find this post searching for the same problem you should try that. It took a good half hour, but it did successfully copy over.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I see a lot of snapshot files ({...}.vdi) and a lot of saved-state files (.sav). Get into the habit of avoiding so many snapshots, or I can see you getting into trouble in the near future again. Thankfully the cloning of the current state consolidated everything into a single state.

And get into the habit of shutting down your VM. Or else see above... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.