VirtualBox Image and Mothe OS security

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ionoskarl
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, cent os

VirtualBox Image and Mothe OS security

Post by ionoskarl »

Hi there,
sorry for the dummy question but I am highly interested if the mother OS is infected, does the data in mine virtualbox image will be affected by the malware?

thank you all in advance :D :D :D

p.s. obviously if we don't take into account the crypto-malvare which crypt the whole disk space. only light viruses like trojans or file infectors
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox Image and Mothe OS security

Post by socratis »

So, you're asking that if your Host is infected, if that infection will affect the Guest OS? Is that the question?

That's a first, I got to admit, most of the people care if the Guest is infected. But I guess that is a ... question as well.

The answer is still the same. If the host has access to the guest's files, then obviously it will be infected. If the host has network access, it could infect your guest's files.

Obviously that means that the guest has to be running, unless the malware can read/write into the VDI file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ionoskarl
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, cent os

Post by ionoskarl »

Hi socratis, yes your interpretation of my answer was correct
thank you for the fast response.
there is no way to isolate the guest OS from the host? Maybe through Vera Crypt encryption or other solutions? thank you once again
kind regards
Last edited by socratis on 5. Sep 2019, 10:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ionoskarl wrote:there is no way to isolate the guest OS from the host? Maybe through Vera Crypt encryption or other solutions?
VirtualBox offers a built-in encryption if that helps you; VM Settings » General » Disk Encryption. Just make sure that you understand how it works, and have a backup.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.