Migrate a VM from ESXI to Virtualbox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
atux_null

Migrate a VM from ESXI to Virtualbox

Post by atux_null »

Hi. i got some VMs in ova, that have exported from ESXI version 6 and i am trying to import them at my virtualbox in home PC. i have done the following steps without success up to now:
  • Open the ova file with 7zip and export the ovf file
  • convert the ova file to ovf with ovftools
in both cases there was not any errors reports and the the file imported to virtualbox. Then i started the VM in virtualbox. No errors reported, but i cannot see anything in the console.

is there a way to make the ova file to work in virtualbox and vice versa, please?
Last edited by socratis on 25. Mar 2019, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Migrate a VM from ESXI to Virtualbox

Post by mpack »

atux_null wrote:
  • Open the ova file with 7zip and export the ovf file
  • convert the ova file to ovf with ovftools
Why would you do either of those things? VirtualBox supports OVA: see section 1.15 of the user manual (specifically the second bullet point in 1.15.1).
atux_null

Post by atux_null »

someone in the office created a VM in ESXI and i need to have it at home to work with. The thing is that at home i have virtualbox. So i do need the conversion.
as mentioned in my post, the ovf it does not work.
i forgot to mention that the ova file it imports fine in virtualbox, but it does not start. is there a workaround, please?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

atux_null wrote:i forgot to mention that the ova file it imports fine in virtualbox, but it does not start. is there a workaround, please?
If the .ova file has imported correctly then "but it does not start" doesn't give us enough information to help diagnose the problem. Does the guest start up? Is there an error message? Is the virtual screen just blank? Does smoke pour out of the CPIU fan?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

atux_null wrote:i forgot to mention that the ova file it imports fine in virtualbox, but it does not start. is there a workaround, please?
If the VM created from the OVA doesn't start then the problem is the VM, not the container it came in.

You need to report precise error messages concerning the failure to start, and provide a VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.