Host-Only Ethernet Adapter name

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
studi

Host-Only Ethernet Adapter name

Post by studi »

Hello,

I use Windows 10 as a host machine. For quite some time now, my Network Adapters are called "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" and "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #3". If I create a new one, it will be called #4... My Servers are working, but the problem is the following: If I export a Server and import this server on another host machine, I have to add "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" to this machine. Otherwise the imported Server won't start and instead will give the error message "the following networkinterface is not available: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2 (adapter 1)".

I would like to avoid to always add "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" on a new host. How can I create a "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" without a number at the end? Even when I delete all my Network Adapters and then create a new one, it will be called "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" instead of "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter" without a number at the end.

Thank you for your time!

/Edit: Even after uninstalling and installing VirtualBox, the Networkadapter is called "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2".
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Host-Only Ethernet Adapter name

Post by mpack »

It sounds like you are creating new Host Only adapters unnecessarily? Once it exists (and one exists by default) there should be no reason to add another unless you want to keep those networks separate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

studi wrote:Otherwise the imported Server won't start
Instead of starting straight, just going into the settings in the new host, will most probably refresh the list of available HostOnly networks and "adjust" itself.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It probably has nothing to do with VirtualBox but a lot to do with Windows.

Windows will not create two interfaces with the same name. If there is already a interface called VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter, even if it is somehow not available, a new one called VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter #2 will be created.

If you go to Device Manager and select Show hidden devices in View you will see the already existing interface (and you can remove it by selecting Uninstall device).
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillG is right, and he reminded me of my typical answer on how to properly install VirtualBox in such cases. The whole passage below is not needed, you need to focus on #2 (Device Cleanup), I simply include it for future reference...
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
studi

Post by studi »

Better late than never... Thank you for your responses everyone!
mpack wrote:It sounds like you are creating new Host Only adapters unnecessarily?
It seems like it. At some point the original Host-Only adapter was gone and VirtualBox created a new one (#2). It might have been after a Windows Creators Update but I am not sure.
socratis wrote: [*]You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
I wasn't able to find the Network Adapter anywhere. Even the Device Cleanup tool does not find the original Network Adapter.

But I found an acceptable solution: If I uncheck the networkadapters right before importing an appliance, the server will start without a problem. It will just use whatever networkadapter is there. I still don't know what happened to my original Host-Only adapter but this solution works for me.