Force USB connection

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Chrixxer

Force USB connection

Post by Chrixxer »

I have VirtualBox running under CentOS 7 Linux. I have a specific USB device that isn't natively "seen" by any operating system as anything interesting (it's a programmer for updating proprietary flash memory for updating the GPS database in avionics), but Linux recognizes when the device is inserted and dmesg provides the vendor and product IDs.

I've used it successfully under VMware by adding a line like this to the .vmx file:

Code: Select all

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0x781:0x7101"
Is there a way to do the equivalent under VirtualBox? I've tried creating filters but they don't seem to work; the USB device doesn't appear on the list of devices I can connect to the virtual machine. I have the extension pack loaded.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Force USB connection

Post by socratis »

Chrixxer wrote:but Linux recognizes when the device is inserted and dmesg provides the vendor and product IDs.
Great! That's what every normal OS is supposed to do, even if it can't handle the device on its own due to lack of specific drivers.
Chrixxer wrote:I've tried creating filters but they don't seem to work; the USB device doesn't appear on the list of devices I can connect to the virtual machine
Connect how? Via the menu Devices » USB? That's not how the filters work actually. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.