Spectre V2: spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Madonna

Spectre V2: spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline

Post by Madonna »

Hello!

I do not know if there is an entry in this forum already an entry on this topic, I found in any case nothing. My virtualbox has not worked for about 1.5 weeks. On Saturday, the 10th of March, I still programmed normally. On Sunday, March 11, there was a major update from Windows (10). I think it has something to do with it. Anyway, I wanted to program the next Thursday again something and got this "error message" in the headline. The VM can not boot anymore. I have already uninstalled the VM and reinstalled, wanted to uninstall the update, but this is not possible. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thank you for your answers!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Spectre V2: spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline

Post by socratis »

Madonna wrote:there was a major update from Windows (10)
Is that the host or the guest? And if that's the host, what's the guest? Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Madonna wrote:got this "error message" in the headline
Headline? What do you mean by headline? Not a VirtualBox term AFAIK...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Spectre V2: spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline

Post by BillG »

Major upgrade on Sunday March 11? There was the normal monthly cumulative update on Tuesday March 12. It caused no problems here.

The last major upgrade for Windows 10 was to version 1809 last year. The version 1903 upgrade is still in beta testing.

To show or hide updates use the wushowhide app.
Bill
Madonna

Post by Madonna »

Thank you for your reply and help.
I solved the problem by installing Windows 7. Now everything works again as it should.