Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtualbox update without a query?

Post by andyp73 »

This was recently discussed in Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host. If you read all that thread you will see that the devs confirmed it isn't VirtualBox doing that. You need to look to external influences.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox automatically updates and reboots the host

Post by socratis »

I merged the two last separate posts with the existing thread. Which I think I'm going to unlock for one, and only one reason; in case someone finds the common culprit.

Any other post that blames VirtualBox will have to come with evidence, like mpack said. Any "me too" posts will be deleted. If you want to help, by all means, but if you want to create more noise, no thanks...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andrew Brehm

Post by Andrew Brehm »

Just happened to me:

The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer XERXES on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x80030002
Shut-down Type: restart
Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.10'.

That was a bit unexpected. I don't even have "Check for Updates" enabled.

I don't think any other application has ever rebooted my PC so suddenly without warning at a random moment in the evening totally out of sync with installations or updates I was made aware of.

Any ideas?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote:I can see this is going to turn into another endlessly uninformed "me too" thread. VirtualBox is open source. If you think there's provision in the code for forced updates and reboots of the host then by all means point out in the source code where that happens. Short of that, the discussion has already played out above.
Hence, locking it.