Can I Create a Host with Wi-Fi Capabilities?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kaier96

Can I Create a Host with Wi-Fi Capabilities?

Post by kaier96 »

For a project, I was wondering if it is at all possible to create two host machines and connect them together via Wi-Fi. I have two physical machines available to me, both with Wi-Fi adapters. So my question is, is it possible to create a wireless connection between the host via Wi-Fi?

andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can I Create a Host with Wi-Fi Capabilities?

Post by andyp73 »

The answer to your question is "yes" but I am struggling to see how this is a VirtualBox related question. If you have a WiFi network then both the hosts can join it and communicate with each other, if not then you should be able to create a point-to-point ad-hoc network. Google would probably have been a better place to ask that question! :)

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can I Create a Host with Wi-Fi Capabilities?

Post by mpack »

If you're going to run a hotel for VMs then you had better learn to differentiate between guests and hosts. The host provides resources that the guest uses.

Therefore, moving this topic to "Using VirtualBox" since the question doesn't seem to be either host or guest specific.

And the answer is no, there is no virtual WiFi adapter provided in VirtualBox. Guests can however be connected to a common virtual cabled network. NAT network is probably easiest to set up - see chapter 6 of the user manual.