[Solved] Using external Linux drive without snapshotting

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rjmoses

[Solved] Using external Linux drive without snapshotting

Post by rjmoses »

I have a Linux system running on a Windows host that I would like to use a Linux drive (formatted as ext4) from another system. This--I can do! I have attached and used ext4 formatted drives on a Windows host with no problem.

My question is: How can I prevent the external drive from being "snapshotted" if I take a snapshot on the test system? I want the external drive to keep it updated files even if I roll back the snapshot.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 2. Mar 2019, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Using external Linux drive without snapshotting

Post by mpack »

My question is: How can I prevent the external drive from being "snapshotted" if I take a snapshot on the test system?
From the user manual: 5.4 - Special Image Write Modes ("Write through" mode).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Are you using a rawdisk access disk?
And you want to prevent a differential file of that rawdisk access being written when you take a snapshot?

Eject it before taking the snapshot... Attach it again after you take the snapshot.

Not sure if it's going to work with the special image types that mpack is referring to. It could, I haven't tried it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Raw disks are not really raw, they are virtual disks like any other, so yes - writethrough (and snapshots) apply to them too.
rjmoses

Post by rjmoses »

Thank you, mpack.

The Special Image Write Modes, write through, was exactly what I needed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thank you for the feedback, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.