CD/DVD passthrough to a WinXP VM failure

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
olevolsing

CD/DVD passthrough to a WinXP VM failure

Post by olevolsing »

ModEdit; Changed the title from "CD/DVD" to something more appropriate
I've installed windows XP pro on the VM but I can't use the cdrom drive in XP. As I understand it you can tick the passthrough option in the storage menu but the option is greyed out. So is the acceleration option for that matter but that's another story.

In other words the virtual box won't transfer the cdrom to XP.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Feb 2019, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: CD/DVD passthrough to a WinXP VM failure

Post by mpack »

Your description is rather garbled. The passthrough option is available when the virtual CD is mapped to a physical CD on the host, and not otherwise, i.e. not if the virtual CD is mapped to an ISO file. You don't mention mapping anything to the VM. I assume you understand that the "hardware" of a VM is virtual and not related to any similar hardware your host PC might have.

Incidentally: shut down the VM before making settings changes. A suspended VM is not shut down.
olevolsing

Post by olevolsing »

I'm sorry I'll try to be more clear. It's the CD drive of the XP guest that doesn't work. Because it's not mapped to the host CD drive that you said. Could you please tell me how to do that. And yes,I'm aware that the XP guest "hardware" is virtual.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Either from the VM Settings:

or from the Details pane:

You select the "Host Drive". That's it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
olevolsing

Post by olevolsing »

Hey there

I've gone through everything and I'm afraid it still doesn't work.The curious thing is that it will eject the disc but it still doesn't accept the disc in the cd drive.What am I missing?
thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

olevolsing wrote:What am I missing?
A good CD perhaps???
How many CDs have you tried? Why not make an ISO out of the CD on your host, and then mount the ISO? Much easier...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
olevolsing

Post by olevolsing »

I was actually thinking about doing that!Let's try it out. :)
Incidentally,the game in question is an old Atari game called the movies.Maybe you've heard of it?It concist of 3 cd's.I've just installed another really old game called Diplomacy from Microprose.It's just one cd and it succeeded because I loaded it in the host OS before I started the virtual XP machine.Then it appears in the guest OS cd drive.Obviously you can't do this with 3 cd's because you have to restart the virtual machine every time.
Anyway,I'm gonna try making an ISO.Thanks.