[Solved] Cannot attach medium ... medium is already associated with the current state of machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
PuppinoCbr

Re: [Solved] Cannot attach medium ... medium is already associated with the current state of machine

Post by PuppinoCbr »

scottgus1 wrote:..Click your guest's CD drive and click "Remove Disk from Virtual Drive":
Thanks. But when it "inaccesible" i can't do anything on settings. All tabs are grey.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Cannot attach medium ... medium is already associated with the current state of machine

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I would try going to File|Virtual Media Manager, find the "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" entry in optical disks, highlight and "Remove" it. I think that should remove it from everywhere (all VMs, all snapshots and drives).
Nope. You'll get a "Can't remove media, associated with state blah, blah" or something along those lines.
PuppinoCbr wrote:Thanks. But when it "inaccesible" i can't do anything on settings. All tabs are grey.
Did you shutdown the VM? Completely from within the VM, not saved-state, not paused. You can't be changing the hardware on a running computer!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

socratis wrote:Did you shutdown the VM? Completely from within the VM, not saved-state, not paused. You can't be changing the hardware on a running computer!
All shutdown. not saved-state, not paused. I can't do anything on settings. All Grey.
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PuppinoCbr wrote:I can't do anything on settings. All Grey.
Sorry for being a doubting Thomas, but can I see a screenshot?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

socratis wrote:Sorry for being a doubting Thomas, but can I see a screenshot?
Of course. Thanks
Senza titolo-1.jpg
Senza titolo-1.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Step 1 is probably to prove that the .vbox file exists, and post a zipped copy of it here.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

mpack wrote:Step 1 is probably to prove that the .vbox file exists, and post a zipped copy of it here.
Thanks.
I've just attached it on previous page. It's called IE8 - Win7.zip
Can you help me with this file?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

See the repaired .vbox file attached below. I have removed the second DVD drive and removed all mention of the Guest Additions ISO.

The Guest Additions were mounted in every previous snapshot, of which there are several. Experienced users do not use snapshots at all, but if you insist on using them then you should get into the habit of ejecting all removable media before creating a new snapshot (i.e. before freezing the previous state).
Attachments
IE8 - Win7.vbox.zip
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

Thanks a lot!! Now it's ok!
I'll not use snapshots anymore.

Please, can you suggest the right steps when it shows "New Guest Additions update available "? I have not mount it as virtual cd? Is there a best procedure?

Thank you again!
Last edited by socratis on 9. Sep 2019, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PuppinoCbr wrote:can you suggest the right steps when it shows "New Guest Additions update available"?
You should never receive that message. If you do, that means you're running a fork of VirtualBox.

You do not download the Guest Additions (GAs) ISO separately for the official VirtualBox, it's a recipe for a disaster. Always use the GAs that come already bundled with your VirtualBox installation. See ch. 4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions:
4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions wrote:The Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions for all supported guest operating systems are provided as a single CD-ROM image file which is called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This image file is located in the installation directory of Oracle VM VirtualBox. To install the Guest Additions for a particular VM, you mount this ISO file in your VM as a virtual CD-ROM and install from there.
In the Devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image, which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

socratis wrote: You do not download the Guest Additions (GAs) ISO separately for the official VirtualBox, it's a recipe for a disaster. Always use the GAs that come already bundled with your VirtualBox installation.
Thank a lot for all!

I've updated virtualbox to the last version 6.0.12 but it shows "Guest Addition version 5.xxx, please update" when Windows (in VirtualBox) starts.
How can i do to update it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

PuppinoCbr wrote:I've updated virtualbox to the last version 6.0.12 but it shows "Guest Addition version 5.xxx, please update" when Windows (in VirtualBox) starts.
You will get a balloon request inside the guest OS to update Guest Additions when you have updated Virtualbox on the host. Use the guest window's Devices menu > "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" to put the Guest Additions ISO that came with the updated Virtualbox into the guest's virtual CD drive. You would then run the Guest Additions installer from the guest's CD drive, if Autorun doesn't try to do it first.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

scottgus1 wrote:..Use the guest window's Devices menu > "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" to put the Guest Additions ISO that came with the updated Virtualbox into the guest's virtual CD drive...
Thanks. Since I did it this way the last time, so as not to have the problems listed above (inaccessible when I turn off the machine), just eject the virtual ISO before shutting down the system?
I wouldn't want to find the OS blocked again :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PuppinoCbr wrote:just eject the virtual ISO before shutting down the system?
Even earlier than that, when you're done installing the GAs. There's no point in keeping the GAs ISO inserted once it has fulfilled its purpose.
PuppinoCbr

Post by PuppinoCbr »

socratis wrote:Even earlier than that, when you're done installing the GAs. There's no point in keeping the GAs ISO inserted once it has fulfilled its purpose.
You are absolutely right about this. It misled me because at the end of the installation it shows as default "reboot system now" (by pressing YES inadvertently)