How do I rename folder names and file names like vbox, vdi

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Samyaza

How do I rename folder names and file names like vbox, vdi

Post by Samyaza »

Hello, I'm using Virtual Box on a Windows 10 and also on a MacOS Mojave. I keep a Windows XP image for some old car software that runs only on XP. However, when I installed Windows XP I made a mistake and named the folder Windowx XP instead of Windows XP, so, the folder with the file got this name and also 2 files: *vdi, *.vbox, *.vbox-prev

The images was installed on Windows 10 and they I copied the folder also on MacOS. I installed VBox and just added the image (without installing again the Windows XP) and of course it worked. Later I realised I made that mistake and I'm the OCD type, I can't stand it.

I removed the image and tried to rename the files and the folder myself however when I added it back (and it added) on launch gave me an error message. I realised is not that simple at it seems. Does anybody know how to rename those? Is a command line? Or I can edit some file?

I just want to rename it from Windowx XP to WindowsXP. Thanks. :?:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do I rename folder names and file names like vbox, vdi

Post by socratis »

Samyaza wrote:and I'm the OCD type, I can't stand it.
We should open a club ;)

Assuming you haven't manually modified it further from its defaults, it's a two "step" process; 1) the VM, its folder and related config files and 2) the VDI itself.
  1. VM Settings » General » Basic » Name » change the name to "Windows XP" in place. That will take care of the folder and the ".vbox", ".vbox-prev" files.
  2. File menu » Virtual Media Manager » Hard disks » (find the "Windowx XP.vdi) » make sure the Properties in the toolbar is enabled » Attributes » Location » change the name to "Windows XP.vdi" in place » Apply.
Done.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.