Installing Guest OS

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Bords

Installing Guest OS

Post by Bords »

I am new to this. I want to run an old 16-bit program on my Win 10 Pro computer. The option to activate NTVDM doesn't exist anymore in Win10, so I'm using virtualbox to set up a virtual drive with XP as my operating system. I've created the virtual drive and I have XP on an installation disc. How do I get the XP OS onto the virtual drive? Thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing Guest OS

Post by socratis »

I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Installing Guest OS

Post by mpack »

Bords wrote:The option to activate NTVDM doesn't exist anymore in Win10
Actually it does. It's only the 64-bit versions of Windows which have never supported the feature, but that didn't start with Win10. The only change in Win10 is that even 32bit versions no longer enable the feature by default, you have to tick a checkbox in "Optional Features" to enable it.

p.s. You are not setting up a virtual drive. You are setting up a second PC which happens to be virtual. Almost any question you could ask has the same answer if the second PC was physical. I've found that it's really important for newbies to grasp this early on.

What kind of program is this "old 16-bit program"? DOS? Win3?