IP address Nat-network

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Larshhm

IP address Nat-network

Post by Larshhm »

Hi, i was busy with building an pentest-environment with VM Virtualbox.
At this moment i am using Kali Linux, Windows 10, Windows server 2016 in my Virtual box.

At the preferences I setup an Nat-network with network CIDR: 10.1.1.0/24. But when i check IP address in Kali linux (ifconfig) i get following IP: 10.0.2.15, and when i check the IP on Windows server, i get this IP: 10.0.2.4
I think it should be something like 10.1.1.?. for each machine (OS).
What can i do?

All machines are setup with Nat-network + DHCP support
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: IP address Nat-network

Post by andyp73 »

To quote the user manual Chapter 6.3. Network Address Translation (NAT):
The virtual machine receives its network address and configuration on the private network from a DHCP server integrated into Oracle VM VirtualBox. The IP address thus assigned to the virtual machine is usually on a completely different network than the host. As more than one card of a virtual machine can be set up to use NAT, the first card is connected to the private network 10.0.2.0, the second card to the network 10.0.3.0 and so on. If you need to change the guest-assigned IP range, see Section 9.10, “Fine Tuning the Oracle VM VirtualBox NAT Engine”.
The default would be for NAT based guests to be given a 10.0.2.x IP address. What commands did you use to set up the NAT network with a 10.1.1.x addressing scheme? Did they all execute correctly?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Larshhm

Re: IP address Nat-network

Post by Larshhm »

I watched a tutorial to setup the VM Virtual box. They said that if you would setup the ip/subnet in preferences like 10.1.1.0/24, then a machine like Kali should give an IP like 10.1.1.? when using Nat-network.

The VM virtualbox preferences i setup like this:

Networkname: "Natnetwork1"
Network-CIDR: 10.1.1.0/24
Support DHCP : enabled

As an example i show how i setup Kali machine:

System:

Memory 2048mb
Chipset: PIIX3
i/o - apic : enabled

Network:

Network adapter: enabled
Connected to: Nat-network
Name: Natnetwork1
Promiscuous mode: X (disabled)

Based on this setup, should the internet also work? Because when i make this command in Kali: ping 8.8.8.8, i get no response.

Is this right?