[Solved] cannot save settings

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
DRAGIN57cz

Re: [Solved] cannot save settings

Post by DRAGIN57cz »

How do i make a new post?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Click the New Topic button on the top of the forum.
DRAGIN57cz

Post by DRAGIN57cz »

I dont see it, send screen shot
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

DRAGIN57cz wrote:I dont see it, send screen shot
Seriously? Look harder. If you can't figure out how to make a new topic, how are you going to run Virtualbox?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

'DRAGIN57cz', instead of posting a reply to an existing thread, go to a specific forum area, like "Using VirtualBox". You are going to see the "NEWTOPIC" image. Use that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vbox2

Post by vbox2 »

This is not solved, that is whole point i want to try Linux without messing Hyper-V.
Even forum login is pathetic, it asks for username meaning forum username but you have to read bunch of nonsense faqs to discover username means email address at Oracle.
Finally when you log in you are kicked out from topic thread back to home page, so much for lost hours searching to get answer.
If you do not allow correct settings then why let create vm with invalid settings in first place.

Lies, lip service

In the absence of hardware-assisted virtualization, VirtualBox adopts a standard software-based virtualization approach. This mode supports 32-bit guest OSs which run in rings 0 and 3 of the Intel ring architecture
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

vbox2 wrote:Lies, lip service
vbox2, if you're done with your rant and slinging baseless accusations, start a new topic with your exact situation and error messages, and we'll try to help you get your Virtualbox going. See Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That final section is not "lies, lip service", it's just an oversight: the information is no longer correct in VirtualBox 6.1, released two weeks ago, as the latter now requires hardware accelerated virtualization (*) on Windows and Linux hosts, just as it always has on Mac hosts.

If you provided a reference instead of a rant then maybe we could do something about the oversight.

(*) PCs have now had VT-x or AMD-v for over a decade. There is no longer any value in putting resources into supporting obsolete hardware. Bear in mind that VirtualBox is paid for by business users - their needs are the only ones that matter to the devs. The rest of us are just freeloaders, along for the ride.
vbox2

Post by vbox2 »

The quote is from wikipedia
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ok, in that case it's not even an oversight, as none of us here is responsible for off-site content. Almost all of it will be wrong to some extent IME. Take up errors with whomever runs the external site.