[Solved] cannot save settings

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
peblacky

[Solved] cannot save settings

Post by peblacky »

i installed virtual box and created an windows 7 machine.
al perfect so long.

as i tried to change some settings in this machine i have the problem the "OK" buttun to save this setting is deactivated (see screenshot)
my machine is NOT runnung and so i dont know how save settings?
please give me a hint!
2019-01-31 settings.jpg
2019-01-31 settings.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 27436 times
Last edited by socratis on 22. Dec 2019, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: cannot save settings

Post by andyp73 »

The icon with the exclamation mark (!) to the left of the OK button is reporting that there is an invalid setting in the guest configuration. Hover the mouse over the icon and it will tell you the setting that needs to be corrected. Once resolved you will be able to save it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
peblacky

Post by peblacky »

Thanks for this hint!
especialy the clickbox "VT-x..." (see Screenshot) was to deactivate!
then it worked!
2019-01-31 system.jpg
2019-01-31 system.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 27429 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox is destined to become increasingly reliant (and unusable without) VT-x / AMD-v. If you posted a VM log we could tell if this feature is potentially available to you. The answer would be yes for the vast majority of PCs sold in the last 10 years, especially those running the Win7-64bit host OS.

With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
peblacky

Post by peblacky »

Here my Logfile as requested ;-)
Whats to do now ?
Attachments
Peter_Log.zip
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:02.655877 CPUM: No hardware-virtualization capability detected
You need to have a look enable this in the motherboard / PC / laptop BIOS. Your Intel i5-2400 CPU supports it. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this. Also, make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the VT-x.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:02.573538 File system of 'L:\Virtual Box\Win7\Snapshots' (snapshots) is ntfs
00:00:02.573545 File system of 'L:\Virtual Box\Win7\Snapshots/{b0bea0c2-5c61-4c90-b82d-b6ce8f496cdc}.vdi' is ntfs
What kind of disk is the hosts drive L:? Is it an internal drive / partition or is it an external drive?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
peblacky

Post by peblacky »

Thanks for this hint!
I'll see if may motherboard manufacturer ASUS has some infos to this!

thel L:\ Drive is an internal SATA6 Harddisk on the system. i hope this works?
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

peblacky wrote:thel L:\ Drive is an internal SATA6 Harddisk on the system. i hope this works?
That should work just fine. Snapshots can be a bit fragile without the added complication of being on an external USB drive which is typically where we see drive letters that high being used!

-Andy.
peblacky

Post by peblacky »

Thanks for the hint, i found the setting in the Bios!
Now i selected "hyper V" i hope this is best selection for an windows pc emulated ...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No, the setting to look for is the "Enable VT-x/AMD-v" checkbox in the VM settings: System | Acceleration. I.e. the box that you highlighted in your screenshot above. Enable it.

Leave "Paravirtualization Interface" set to Default. This has to do with providing an API to the guest OS (i.e. like setting the user agent string in an Internet browser), not with how VirtualBox runs your VM.
peblacky

Post by peblacky »

Thanks again, runs very good!
Now i have to order some memory für my PC ;-)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

peblacky wrote:Thanks again, runs very good!
Marking as [Solved] then.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DRAGIN57cz

Post by DRAGIN57cz »

I have the same problem. But when I try to disable it, it still doesn't lett me click OK
DRAGIN57cz

Post by DRAGIN57cz »

and when I try to "Enable VT-x/AMD-v it doesn't let me click on it, it's grey.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Solved] cannot save settings

Post by scottgus1 »

Dragin, read the whole post. Then if you still cannot figure out how Peblacky solved his problem, start a new topic. [Solved] topics should not be reopened or disturbed except by the OP.