virtual machine not starting up.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nnova

virtual machine not starting up.

Post by nnova »

I am very new to using virtual machines, i just installed a vm and When I start my virtual machine using proxy browser services, I get an error stating that no boot medium was found. How do I solve this?
Last edited by nnova on 4. Feb 2019, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: virtual machine not starting up.

Post by andyp73 »

nnova wrote:i just installed a vm
What did you install? It sounds as though you just created the guest but haven't actually installed a guest OS yet.
nnova wrote:I get an error stating that no boot medium was found.
Most probably, you will need to get a .iso of the guest operating system you want to install, attach it to the virtual optical drive, boot it, perform the installation, eject the image and let it boot from the virtual hard disk. You may want to read 1.8. Creating Your First Virtual Machine and 1.9. Running Your Virtual Machine

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Lioness124

Post by Lioness124 »

Hi,

I am also new to Virtual Box. Trying to install Windows Server 2012R, I fail at booting the Operating system afer I click on Start. It's empty, the system has nothing to boot.

I followed the instructions I could find on You Tube and when I get to choose the Storage, I click on Choose Optical Disk File. It sends me back to my own File Manager to pick a file, but I can't find en_windows_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd_2707946.iso. I figured I should google it up and download it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Lioness124 wrote:It sends me back to my own File Manager to pick a file, but I can't find en_windows_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd_2707946.iso
Are you asking *us* for help, locating a file on *your* computer? Seriously? :roll:

How about looking at your browser's download history? Assuming that you downloaded it with your browser...

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lioness124

Post by Lioness124 »

Sorry for sounding silly, but I assumed the install might have downloaded the file to my laptop. Somehow.

Just asking for your help to boot my system so that I can go on with my work. Been stuck for almost a week now.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Wait a minute... Did you think that just by selecting a VM kind and version, it would automatically get the installation media for you? No, it doesn't work like that...

You *definitely* need to read the 3 small chapters that I gave you. Then we can talk in more details...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lioness124

Post by Lioness124 »

Ok. I'll read the chapters and come back to bug you some more later.

It's a promise.
Lioness124

Post by Lioness124 »

I contacted a friend and all there was to it was just downloading the ISO file from the website and installing it in the virtual box.
Got my virtual box up and running.

Don't really understand the need to make me look like a total idiot for just asking for help on a website that is supposed to provide that help in the first place.
My bad.

No sweat.