Discuss the 6.0.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 6.0.2 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 6.0.2 release here.
You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.0.2 is a new maintenance release.

VirtualBox 6.0.14 has been released. Please try that before continuing the discussion in this thread.

Known new issues/regressions
These are new and confirmed tickets about issues with 6.0.2: See also:
hotjava1231

Re: Discuss the 6.0.2 release

Post by hotjava1231 »

• Arch Linux (64-bit) Guest VM boot process hangs unless "Use host I/O cache" is set off at under SATA controller settings. There weren't any hangs in the previous version of Virtualbox (5.2.x series).
  • Guest Additions for Linux keeps always rebuilding the kernel modules after the boot. I suspect it does that at the end reboot/shutdown process, too.
  • When running in the desktop environment, moving around windows by mouse are sluggish. 3D acceleration is enabled at the VM settings.
Virinix

Post by Virinix »

Desktop shortcut creation still non-functional in 6.0.2 Win x64. In 6.0.0 a window popped up giving an error that could be fixed by changing the shortcut's target launch .exe, now in 6.0.2 trying to launch any 6.0.2 newly created shortcuts just results in the vbox process starting up and then closing a couple seconds later. Only way I can currently launch VM's is through the GUi. Edit: Confirmed shortcut creation has the exact same outcome on a second Win10 x64 machine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Virinix
Cannot reproduce on a Win7-32 host. I'll try the Win7-64 and Win10-64, but it's a triple boot PC, so, updates later...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

hotjava1231 wrote:
  • Guest Additions for Linux keeps always rebuilding the kernel modules after the boot. I suspect it does that at the end reboot/shutdown process, too.
This did not happen for me. It would be great if you could investigate a bit more (can you reproduce it with a guest which is quick to install, I seem to remember that Arch is a bit time consuming for someone who does not use it regularly). A patch would be even nicer of course.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Hi michael,

For completeness, following thread should possibly be mentioned here. Issue discussed is present in both 6.0.0 and 6.0.2.
Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior

In closing, would like to say thank you for such wonderful open source virtualization software.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Dave B
This is *not* a 6.0.2 issue, this is clearly a 6.0.0 issue, just check the report dates on the thread that you linked to.

Since no ticket has been filed yet about this, I'll open one (now that it's confirmed) and I'll post it in the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

@socratis
All tests performed by me (mentioned in that thread) were with 6.0.2
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I know... But as you said yourself:
Dave B wrote:Issue discussed is present in both 6.0.0 and 6.0.2.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Ah okay, you prefer just 6.0.2 observations / changes, not issues that may still be present, no problem!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right. Otherwise every "Discuss the X.y.z release" thread would be a summary of all the open tickets! :)
apaton

Post by apaton »

Hi

Just upgraded to 6.0.2 and unable to boot any VM due to VBOXHarding issue.
Not resolved yet.

UPDATE
TrendAV seems to be the problem, disabled and working so far.

Error
The virtual machine 'Win10Admin' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\apaton\VirtualBox VMs\Microsoft\Win10Admin\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Error ExitCode from VBoxHardening.log
1724.42e0: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0xc0000005 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 102 ms, CloseEvents);
Last edited by apaton on 16. Jan 2019, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A tangential issue, but...

I just noticed that the chapter numbering of the online user manual is now different from the numbering used in the PDF copy of the 6.0.2 manual distributed with the product. It seems that the "Preface" section is not numbered in the PDF, but online "Preface" is numbered as chapter 1, thus adding +1 to all remaining chapters.

Deliberate? Error? Transitional?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:the chapter numbering of the online user manual is now different from the numbering used in the PDF
The wrong numbering happened with the release of 6.0.0. I opened a ticket for that, since it was invalidating every previous link that we've ever made. The ticket #18198 Disconnect in chapter numbering between PDF and online manual was fixed on 2019-01-09. In the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" notes...
mpack wrote:the "Preface" section is not numbered in the PDF, but online "Preface" is numbered as chapter 1
Maybe you need to refresh your copy, clear the cache? Shift+Reload in Firefox at least, forces a new copy of the page. I show it as Preface being numberless, "First Steps" being ch. 1.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:
mpack wrote:the "Preface" section is not numbered in the PDF, but online "Preface" is numbered as chapter 1
Maybe you need to refresh your copy, clear the cache? Shift+Reload in Firefox at least, forces a new copy of the page
I'm at work now, so different PC, but I still see the same thing. Shift+Reload makes no difference to the page content in Pale Moon, a Firefox fork.

I also just fired up Chrome, which I've never used to visit a VirtualBox site before, and it also shows "1. Preface". This cannot possibly be a local cache problem.