Is there a way to boot into a virtual machine with mouse integration disabled by default?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.

Is there a way to boot into a virtual machine with mouse integration disabled by default?

Postby SilvTech » 27. Dec 2018, 08:04

Hello friends,

This may sound like a silly question but I have been looking around for how to do this for a good moment now, to no avail...

I am running mouse sensitive programs and would like to ensure that I can't accidentally hover the machines on my host and cause unintentional problems. Minimizing the clients is not a working solution as the machines still need a certain amount of active monitoring. Any advice/criticism is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
SilvTech

Re: Is there a way to boot into a virtual machine with mouse integration disabled by default?

Postby socratis » 27. Dec 2018, 11:29

SilvTech wrote:would like to ensure that I can't accidentally hover the machines on my host and cause unintentional problems

Can you explain that a little bit better? Just hovering over a VM will cause problems? On the host? The guest? What's the host and the guest? Have you tried using the PS/2 mouse emulation instead of the USB Tablet one?
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is there a way to boot into a virtual machine with mouse integration disabled by default?

Postby SilvTech » 28. Dec 2018, 08:23

Sorry for the vague post. My concern is of host mouse movement causing trouble in the guest OS, there is the toggle that you can access via Input > Mouse Integration, however - this setting to the best of my knowledge is not saved or stored to be carried over at next boot - and my guest boxes will need this setting changed at each reboot. If I select the option to disable integration and provide my guest its own cursor to use, it will just reset to the default setting of host mouse integration. I am using Virtual Box Version 5.2.4 with Windows XP Guests.

I did however just do a restart of the guest and it appears the setting stays so long that virtual session isn't closed. If I do a full shutdown though, it resets.

...While it would still be helpful to know if I can have this selected at default. It turns out restarting is good enough for my situation at present time. If it works, it works haha

Interesting though is that the setting isn't reverting on a fresh start up until XP gets through the startup process. Very strange.
SilvTech

Return to Using VirtualBox