Nested virtualization/AMD-V in the guest: Success stories (and failures)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nested virtualization/AMD-V in the guest: Success stories (and failures)

Post by socratis »

Bidyut wrote:I was wondering how virtual box VM inside ESXi VM (ESXi v6.5) was working fine when virtual box version was 5.1.30
I was doing nested virtualization for years. The question is "what" nested virtualization.

Because if you're talking about running a FreeDOS VM, it was working. I'm not sure if it's going to work anymore, now that "raw" mode has been deprecated and VT-x is required even for smallest of the VMs...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
HulkySulky

Post by HulkySulky »

Here's my (failure) story. Basically (at least with Debian 10) it's not working. It's on an Intel laptop, not AMD, but since 6.1 Intel's CPU are supposed to be supported by VirtualBox for nested virtualization.

Physical Host :
- Processor : Intel Core i7-10510U @1.80GHz (1 proc, 4 cores, 8 threads)
- RAM : 16GB
- VirtualBox 6.1.2 r135662 (latest) with extension pack installed

Guest :
- 4 CPU
- 10GB RAM
- Guest Additions installed
- VirtualBox 6.1.2 r135662 with nested VT-x/AMD-V enabled and extension pack installed

Nested Guest :
- 2 CPU
- 2GB RAM

I tried a fresh installation of Debian 10 into the nested guest. At first, the installation process seems to start (I get to the screen where you have to choose the installation type), but right after that it freezes both the guest and the nested guest. In the physical host I can see 100% workload on half of the processors. I waited for 10 minutes, then I killed the guest.

Second try : I migrated a Win7 VM into the guest. Same result, after starting the nested guest (Win7), Windows starts but doesn't reach the login screen. Soon both the nested guest (Win7) and the guest (Debian 10) are frozen, with 100% workload on half of the physical host's processors. Waited for 10 minutes, then killed the guest.
Bidyut

Post by Bidyut »

This is working in v6.1.4 whereas it was not in v6.0.4 because intel h/w support is enabled from 6.1.x
virtualboi

Post by virtualboi »

Exactly same story as @HulkySulky here.

I'm attempting triple Ubuntu 20.04 on an Intel laptop. On starting the nested VM, the guest-host freezes completely. I've tinkered with all the settings I can find, but never gotten anywhere near a working nested VM. I have achieved the same set up with QEMU however - it works smoothly. Am I right in assuming the Intel support isn't fully implemented yet? I notice you still have to use the CLI to enable nested VT-x.
vbart2020

Post by vbart2020 »

Hi, did anyone here ran nested virtualization with Win10 and Docker? I have this configuration: ArchLinux host -> VirtualBox 6.1.10 -> Win10 May 2020 build -> Docker on Windows? I get Docker errors. When I choose for VirtualBox machine KVM or Hyper-V for paravirtualization Docker reports that virtualization disabled. Task Manager under Windows shows that it is a virtual machine. When I choose None for paravirtualization, Windows shows that it is not a virtual machine and virtualization enabled (in Task Manager) but Docker reports "hardware assisted virtualization and data execution protection must be enbled in the BIOS" (in Win those features enabled: Virtual Machine Platform, Hyper-V, WSL).
CodingNinja

Post by CodingNinja »

Hi All, I have an AMD cpu and windows 10 host. I am trying to create a windows 10 VM by downloading the image from microsoft website. I am getting the attached issue. By checking some articles online, i enabled VT-x/AMD-v and enable PAE/NX as well. still its giving same issue. I do not know more about virtual box to give you any log file. please let me know whatelse u might require to help me resolve this issue.
Attachments
the setting
the setting
winvmissue_2.JPG (44.27 KiB) Viewed 21157 times
the issue
the issue
winvmissue.JPG (118.51 KiB) Viewed 21157 times
khelkhele

Post by khelkhele »

I updated Virtualbox to 6.0.2 and felt like I didn't get as far as I used to. I made a log and downgraded to 6.0.0 to see if there was a difference. there was.
khelkhele

Post by khelkhele »

I'm attempting triple Ubuntu 20.04 on an Intel laptop. On starting the nested VM, the guest-host freezes completely.

hellodear.in

watch movies
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@khelkhele: This topic is for success and failure reports. It is not for having support discussions. Please create your own topic if you want to do that.

I frankly don't see much point in this topic as the goal of it is extremely vague, so I'm going to lock it. I suggest that people should post about new version problems in the appropriate "Discuss the VirtualBox x.yy release" topic, or create your own topic to discuss issues you have encountered which don't seem to be tied to a specific release.