Discuss the 6.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by socratis »

Armando wrote:In my two-screen setup, if I drag the window in a position straddling the two screens and then I close the Manager and launch it again, the whole window appears inside the left screen and also in a lower (or higher) position.
(emphasis mine)

That's not VirtualBox, that's OSX doing that. As far as I know, no application spans two screens at startup.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Armando

Post by Armando »

socratis wrote:
Armando wrote:In my two-screen setup, if I drag the window in a position straddling the two screens and then I close the Manager and launch it again, the whole window appears inside the left screen and also in a lower (or higher) position.
(emphasis mine)
That's not VirtualBox, that's OSX doing that. As far as I know, no application spans two screens at startup.
I'm afraid I forgot to mention my host system is Win10 x64 and I'm sorry about that.
When I searched the forum for something similar to what I was experiencing I almost immediately found that 2017 topic which looked perfectly relevant and I did not notice it was related to OSX.
As to the "straddling" window example, maybe I used unclear words, but I just meant that the VBM window (non-maximized) was sitting... across the two screens, partially on the left one and partially on the right one. If I place other windows (notepad, web browser...) in that same position and then close and reopen them, they reappear exactly where they were, while VBM does not.

Anyway, as I said, "something similar happens for any position I drag the window to".
So the "problem" does not seem to be related to the two-screen setup.
The VBM window (non maximized), after dragging, seems to never "remember" its position correctly. :]
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

Poor visual appearance. I use a dark theme on an XFCE desktop. I just got other qt-based apps(e.g. vlc) to "play along nicely" with currently set dark theme.
Unable to post screenshot of display due to forum rules. Appearance is "washed out" and unable to read text of settings in main window display when a VM is selected.

PM request and I'll be happy to share link to image.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@digifuzzy
Something like this? https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18258
digifuzzy wrote:Unable to post screenshot of display due to forum rules
There is no forum rule preventing you from attaching an image here, locally. Post a screenshot that shows what you mean. Please do not post your whole desktop, crop it to the area of interest. Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, please shrink the image by at least 50%. Not everyone has the luxury of a HiDPI display ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

Forum wasn't allowing me to post link to image(not enough credibility). I was trying to be "nice" to servers by using link to image sharing site. Forum site even prevented my from quoting exactly the previous post because it contained a link. I couldn't even use the acronym for Universal Resource Locator without being blocked!

Yes. That bug report and images are very similar to my experiences. Looks like garbage and doesn't appear to "respect" desktop appearance settings. Although, other presented dialogs appear as expected with currently selected theme. I've attached a scaled screenshot image of VBox main as it appears on my desktop. Guess it's more amplification of bug report.
Attachments
VBox6 Main Window on dark themed XFCE desktop.
VBox6 Main Window on dark themed XFCE desktop.
VBox6_Main_scaled.png (55.19 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@digifuzzy
It may be best if you posted in the ticket as well, with complete details about your host, WM, DE, and everything else that might help the developers...
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

Amplifying details added to bug report.
csmithhelena

Post by csmithhelena »

New problem with VirtualBox 6.0. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, using the MSEdge-Win10 VM from dev.modern.ie, which is Windows 10 Enterprise 1803, which comes with the 5.2.8 guest extensions, and I immediately upgraded them to 6.0. When I do so, I cannot install or update any apps in the Windows 10 Store (0x80070057 error, installation parameter incorrect). So I uninstall the 6.0 guest additions, and the whole machine crashes, but when I force it to power-off and bring it back up, the additions got uninstalled (though there were errors on the screen in the uninstall when the VM locked up). With the additions uninstalled, I can install and update Windows 10 Store apps. I wasn't able to log the uninstall errors but it did say something about failure to remove the video driver, etc. And it left the DLL files and whatnot in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions, but I was able to delete that folder after reboot. Guess the guest additions from 6.0 need more work, or maybe Windows Defender is interfering somehow. I'll try the 5.2.8 drivers eventually, I guess.
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

I'm experiencing a serious performance regression with VirtualBox 6.0.0 on Linux host, similar to what @geerlingguy has described but much worse.

Screencast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70BwXHfhRA

Downgrading to 5.2.22 fixes the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@teohhanhui, @geerlingguy
You're using Vagrant. Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Vagrant), then we can continue this discussion.
csmithhelena

Post by csmithhelena »

CsmithHelena again: I decided to erase my entire hard drive and reinstall with Ubuntu 18.10. I'm back on VirtualBox 6.0, this time using a fresh installed VM of WIndows 10 Enterprise 1809. And I'm not having the Windows Store 0x80070057 problems with the 6.0 additions installed. This is too weird. I guess it's possibly something with the MSEdge-Win10 VM I used from Microsoft's website. No clue. So far, I've not been able to reproduce my own bug.
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

I'm very happy with 6.0.0 so far but I was just wondering - why is it so much bigger than 5.2 (at least the Windows installer is - 203MB vs 108MB)?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@peterhull90, by Toutatis you're right!

If we go with the analogy of the versions and the previous size: ( 6.0 / 5.2 ) * 108 MB = 124,1 MB, not 208 MB!!! :D

Joking aside, I was talking with one of the developers and they mentioned that they were trying to track the source of the "bloat" themselves, so it's not your imagination. Most probably some combination of added functionality with a couple of compiler/linker switches methinks. Good luck trying to track it down! I think they have bigger fish to fry... ;)
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

socratis wrote: Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences. ... If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Vagrant), then we can continue this discussion.
Vagrant is a program that uses VirtualBox (as a provider). It does so using VBoxManage, as you can see for yourself here: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/bl ... er/base.rb
and here: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/bl ... /config.rb (modifyvm). Your assertions are completely unfounded.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

peterhull90 wrote:I'm very happy with 6.0.0 so far but I was just wondering - why is it so much bigger than 5.2 (at least the Windows installer is - 203MB vs 108MB)?
I noticed it too. I have faster Internet at home now, otherwise that extra 100MB would have been more important to me. Maybe they add a new library, but 100MB? My guess is that debugging info was turned on for the beta and left on.