Discuss the 6.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 6.0.0 release here.
You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.0.0 is a new major release.

VirtualBox 6.0.14 has been released. Please try that before continuing the discussion in this thread.

Known new issues/regressions
These are new and confirmed tickets about issues with 6.0.0:
  • #18151 Shared Folders hangs after while. - Fixed with 6.0.5 r129921 or later.
  • #18196 OSX GAs binaries not in OSX guest path - Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18197 OSX: Dbl-clicking on registered file types results in no action - Fixed with 6.0.3 r128258 or later.
  • #18198 Disconnect in chapter numbering between PDF and online manual - Fixed on 2019-01-09.
  • #18202 VM Networking - Bridge adds padding (1x "0x00"-byte) to bridged frames with uneven length - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18205 VM does not refresh, but preview window runs realtime - Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18206 Error when installing Extension Pack - Fixed with 6.0.3 r128258 or later.
  • #18207 VM shortcut start does not work (anymore) - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128006 or later.
  • #18212 Windows 10 Host - Hardening error - VMs do not start - Fixed with 6.0.5 r129220 or later.
  • #18213 Install/Build Guestadditions on SLES12SP4 failed - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128018 or later.
  • #18220 Automount of shared folder does not work when saved state is restored - Fixed with 6.0.8.
  • #18223 Can't add empty optical drive to guest - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128018 or later.
  • #18226 Grep error in vboxdrv.sh file - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18230 Can't select the Host's CD drive from the 1st time run wizard, 6.0.x regression. - Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18238 vboxsf module (6.0.0) does not compile for kernel 3.10 - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128006 or later.
  • #18239 No Mouse visibility on VM - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18257 VirtualBoxVM not accessible on Linux hosts - Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18258 VirtualBox does not respect dark themes
  • #18263 Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18264 conflicting desktop files in deb packages - Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18265 Win7 in VB 6.0.0 fails on resume on 97% - Fixed with 6.0.7 r130145 or later.
  • #18282 EFI shell not shown when VMSVGA or VBoxSVGA is chosen. No installation is possible. - Fixed with 6.0.5 r128870 or later.
  • #18286 DOS-class VMs don't recognize PCnet-FAST III (6.0.0 regression) - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128070 or later.
  • #18288 Cannot switch to different real Host Drive in running VM guest - Fixed with Fixed with 6.0.2.
  • #18291 FileManager: progress bar stops at 50% while copying - Fixed with Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18305 Drag and Drop - ErrorCode VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18312 Unable to build Virtualbox 6.0 on Fedora 29 - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18319 Serial ports (uart) don't work after upgrading from 5.2.22 to 6.0.0 and 6.0.2 - Fixed with 6.0.4.
  • #18335 Deleting a snapshot shows an incorrect estimated time (14714 days 5 hours) - Fixed with 6.0.5 129298 or later.
  • #18341 VBoxManage showvminfo segfault in 6.0.x - Fixed with 6.0.5 r128880 or later.
  • #18355 packet’s trailer extra byte padding - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18373 Multiple copies of shared folders - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18376 OS/2 File sharing on MacOS host causes crash when attempting to list contents of share - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18379 New OS/2 shared folders feature locks up the guest - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18408 Exiting seamless mode does not revert guest display back to previous resolution - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18518 RDPing to a VM with VMSVGA sends only 1 frame, then screen updates stop - Fixed with 6.0.5 r129665 or later.
  • #18759 documentation error - Fixed with 6.0.12.
JSquared71

Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by JSquared71 »

Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
Does this mean we can use VirtualBox fully on a computer with Hyper-V installed?
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

MacOS Guest Additions: initial support
OhBoy, OhBoy, OhBoy. :lol:
Henk717

Post by Henk717 »

I see that Nested Virtualization is added to this release, something i have been hoping for for quite some time.
On my Ryzen system i can not use Hyper-V for nested virtualization and this is a much desired feature to test out virtualization software or build entire labs including virtual hosts (For example to test fail over configuration in a test environment).

Unfortunately i am struggling to get this feature to work properly, Hyper-V can not be installed because SLAT support is missing from this feature, using Virtualbox inside of the guest crashes the VM instantly with maximum CPU usage.

I am also not getting any screen refreshes when using the software trough Remote Desktop with VBoxSVGA when the guest additions are installed.
This problem is not present when i revert to the VBoxVGA adapter which is what i now do by default for these guests, it may be limited to AMD GPU's.

It would be great if someone can help me get Hyper-V properly virtualized as this will be of great use for my upcoming microsoft exams.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JSquared71 wrote:Does this mean we can use VirtualBox fully on a computer with Hyper-V installed?
In theory, yes. I haven't tried it (on OSX myself), but be aware of "at the price of reduced performance". I haven't seen any benchmarks, it's too early for that.
rpmurray wrote:
MacOS Guest Additions: initial support
OhBoy, OhBoy, OhBoy. :lol:
I know, right? It's a start! There's not that much yet, and I'm still trying to figure out which parts work and which are not. I had a thread opened in the "Beta" section of the forums: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what to expect?. I'm going to lock that and open a new one in the "OSX Guests" section.

EDIT: I did something even better! I moved the thread, much simpler! It's not like I've been testing it for weeks and the info is outdated...

So far, only limited Copy/Paste and VBoxControl (from the guest) / VBoxManage guestcontrol (from the host) work. No Shared Folders, Drag'n'Drop or enhanced graphics. Still a really great start from nothing to something!
Henk717 wrote:Hyper-V can not be installed because SLAT support is missing from this feature
What are you trying to do? I would suggest starting with something simple, and then move to bigger and more complicated setups. Don't go straight for the Cray or the BigBlue one... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anakunda
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP

A lot of problems with Ubuntu guest after upgrade to VirtualBox 6

Post by Anakunda »

Hello,
alot things broken in VBox6
- desktop shortcuts for VMs are invalid as still linking VirtualBox manager and not launcher
- Ubuntu guest - virtualbox addons instalation interrupted for missing packages to build kernel modules, but actually they are installed (make, gcc and perl)
- Ubuntu guest - network not working at all (including internet and shared folders accesibility)
Having bridged connection to host's physical ethernet adapter, firstly I noticed the network card was reset to paravirtualized network (reverted back to Intel) - still not working

I need some help how to fix, or wait for another VirtualBox update?
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: A lot of problems with Ubuntu guest after upgrade to VirtualBox 6

Post by socratis »

Anakunda wrote:- desktop shortcuts for VMs are invalid as still linking VirtualBox manager and not launcher
Yes, that can happen. An update doesn't go though each and every shortcut on your desktop. You'll have to adjust them manually. Side-effect of a better security model...
Anakunda wrote:- Ubuntu guest - virtualbox addons instalation interrupted for missing packages to build kernel modules, but actually they are installed (make, gcc and perl)
"Ubuntu guest" is a really generic statement. You need to provide the exact distro version, the kernel, and the complete output of the building process.
Anakunda wrote:- Ubuntu guest - network not working at all (including internet and shared folders accesibility)
Again, versions and proof. Did you reboot the guest after the GAs installation?
Anakunda wrote:I need some help how to fix, or wait for another VirtualBox update?
It's up to you if you're going to wait for an update or not, but with the details given, and no ZIPPED VBox.log of a complete session that shows the problems, no help is going to come.

BTW, please remember that there's a sort of unwritten rule in the forums: 1 thread per issue, 1 issue per thread. The title "A lot of problems..." is going to be a candidate for every known problem in the known universe, not a good thing to have in a thread.

So, please open a new thread per problem, with an appropriate title. And since the title that you chose is bound to attract every problem withe those that upgraded, I'm going to have to lock the thread to prevent that. There is the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" thread for such generic statements.

Actually, thinking about it, I'm not going to lock your thread, I'm going to merge it with the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anakunda
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Anakunda »

So, the distro is 18.04.1 LTS
The kernel is 4.15.0-42-generic
Did you reboot the guest after the GAs installation?
Sure I did.

Btw. the issue seems solved after more reboots.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Anakunda wrote:Btw. the issue seems solved after more reboots.
So, it's working now? All it needed was more than 1 reboots? Hey, I've always said, if your computer is troubling you, first step is always a reboot. Or two, or more in your case... ;)
Tuta

Post by Tuta »

Linux host (Slackware-current)
guests: Linux Mint, MX Linux, Slackware, CRUX, Windows 8.1

note all worked with VB-5.2.22

1) broken desktop shortcuts:
removed old shortcuts and created new ones:
- Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager
--Machine
--- Create Shortucut on Desktop

When clicked on shortucut, got the error:
--startvm is an option for the VirtualBox VM runner (VirtualBoxVM) application, not the VirtualBox Manager.
Sound:
garbled sound in debian based Linux Mint and MX Linux
no sound in Slackware guest
Sound works in Windows

None of the issues fixed by rebooting host and quests
Tuta

Post by Tuta »

well, also latest VirtualBox has slower disk access:
unpacking kernel stops few times before finishing.

Reverted to 5.2.22 and ALL is working (that is sound, desktop shortcuts, disk access) well again.

I guess typical issue with x.0 versions.
Will wait for 6.1 or something.

Thank you anyway, I really like VirtualBox.
tonny
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by tonny »

After upgrading to 6.0 restoring from saved state no longer works for one of my VMs - seems to be related to the lsilogicsas controller.
err.png
err.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 19499 times
The VM was cleanly shut down before upgrade to 6.0 and also has the latest guest additions installed.
Host is Windows 10 1803
Guest is Windows 7

The only change on the host between the saved state and attempted restore is Windows applying KB4483234 overnight.
VBox log is attached.

LE: did a discard, saved state again and restore is still crashing, so it should be reproducible
Attachments
VBox.zip
(28.81 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@tonny
Wait a minute, I'm confused...
tonny wrote:restoring from saved state no longer works
tonny wrote:The VM was cleanly shut down
Was the VM in saved-state, or completely shutdown? Can't be both, these two statements of yours are rather contradictory...

When upgrading VirtualBox, it's strongly (really strongly) suggested to shut down all the VMs. Not paused, not saved, completetly shut down from within the guest. Especially in major versions.

If you can't start the VM from a saved state, either discard the saved state, or downgrade to the last VirtualBox version, the one you saved the state with, shutdown the VM, then upgrade to the latest VirtualBox version.
tonny

Post by tonny »

What I ment is that the saved state was done using 6.0, it was not carried over from 5.22, which I know is highly not recommended.
tonny

Post by tonny »

I did some further testing with two other VMs (a Debian and a Windows 10).
Save state works ok for these (they are using a regular SATA controller), but as soon as I change their settings and add an additional SAS controller, booting and doing a save state, restore no longer works.

So it might be just as easy to reproduce, add an SAS controller to a VM and see if save state/restore still works.

Same problem also happens if I add an Lsilogic SCSI controller, but it works ok with a Buslogic SCSI controller.