Virtual Box Location

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ponicpool

Virtual Box Location

Post by ponicpool »

Hello,

Would like to know whether is it possible to have the vmdk location of files in an external drive and internal hard disk of the host machine.
To elaborate my question, let me explain in detail.

I have a Windows 10 64 bit machine, would like to store VM file location for a Linux Oracle 11g database as a guest on the internal drive and Oracle Weblogic Server as a guest on an external hard disk. Both 11g database and Weblogic would talk to each other.

Appreciate insight on this and help.

Regards
Jacob
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box Location

Post by socratis »

Yes, you can move a VM to an external HD, but be aware of the performance. See the FAQ "Moving a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ponicpool

Post by ponicpool »

I am not moving an existing, rather create new vmdk.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Don't think of the VM as just it's hard drive (the VMDK part). There's a lot more to your computer than just its hard drive, no? And why VMDK and not the native VDI?

If you want to create a new VM in the non-default location, you need to change the default location. VirtualBox Preferences » General » Default Machine Folder.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ponicpool

Post by ponicpool »

One of the vmdk which I intend to import does require a considerable amount of space. Hence contemplating to have the location of the file on an external hard disk.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You've changed the scenario 3 times in 3 posts! From Move, to Create, to Import. :)

Here's what i think is going on... You have a pre-made VM. Typically a VM (as I told you already) contains more information than the hard drive (VMDK). You have most probably an OVF (Open Virtualization Format) or an OVA (Open Virtual Appliance) file, no? Please read the corresponding article in Wikipedia so that we can stop talking about the VMDK part only, it's a misstatement.

Change your default location as instructed (VirtualBox Preferences » General » Default Machine Folder). Then when you either double-click on the OVA/OVF, or you go to VirtualBox menu File » Import Appliance..., the default location will be used to store the VM (including the VMDK).