What is the most recoverable format in case of data catastrophe?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Marinbox

What is the most recoverable format in case of data catastrophe?

Post by Marinbox »

I would like to know if any of the formats that can be used to create a virtual disk is safer than another. That is to say, before a hardware failure can be recovered easier or there are more tools for the repair and recovery of information.

What format do you recommend to use?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: What is the most recoverable format in case of data catastrophe?

Post by socratis »

Marinbox wrote:I would like to know if any of the formats that can be used to create a virtual disk is safer than another.
The one that you have a backup of, the one which you've verified it can be restored at any given time. ;)
Marinbox wrote:before a hardware failure can be recovered easier or there are more tools for the repair and recovery of information.
VirtualBox knows better its native format, VDI. There are a couple of tools around that could help with a corrupted header (maybe), including mpack's CloneVDI and/or the built-in "vbox-img" which although not properly documented (not at all actually) offers a "repair" option.
$ vbox-img
Usage: vbox-img
   repair       --filename <filename>
                [--dry-run]
                [--format VDI|VMDK|VHD] (default: autodetect)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Marinbox

Re: What is the most recoverable format in case of data catastrophe?

Post by Marinbox »

Thank you for answering socratis.

It has been a great help.