Can't Start Virtual Machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
wdcdave

Can't Start Virtual Machine

Post by wdcdave »

OK, I know this error has been beaten to death but I've tried every suggestion I can find. Hyper-V is turned off in Widows Features, fastboot is disabled, intel virtualization tech is enabled. I have no idea where to go at this point...

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Test1.
Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2018, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't Start Virtual Machine

Post by andyp73 »

Pretty much everything we know on this subject is in I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. In Windows 10 features such as DeviceGuard, CredentialGuard and the containerised version of Edge use Hyper-V without having it explicitly enabled. Some third party anti-virus tools also do the same. Those are the places to start looking.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
wdcdave

Post by wdcdave »

Thank you. I'll check those out.
wdcdave

Post by wdcdave »

Yeah, no. I've even followed every step in the related Microsoft Article (I'd post a link but it won't let me) with no luck. This is extremely frustrating and it seems to me that the buck is simply being passed. "We don't know how to fix it so contact Microsoft" :?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Not at all. We would gladly tell you what causes it if we knew, but we have no idea of what programs you are running on your machine which might be causing this. There are lots of things which now use hardware virtualization, and only one of them can use it at any one time. Hyper-V is certainly one of them. Other Windows culprits include credential guard and device guard. But there are lots of others, including other emulator programs.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The FAQ Andy linked you to above is not by Microsoft, and it gave you a specific list of things to check, so I'm not sure why you suddenly started mentioning a Microsoft page. If the FAQ we provided doesn't fix your problem then your PC is unique.