Any set date for the official VB 6?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sjointer

Any set date for the official VB 6?

Post by sjointer »

I've looked through the site and couldn't find a roadmap or any other discussion for the target release date for VirtualBox 6. I'd rather not install 5.2 and then watch as 6 releases a week later.

Can anyone tell me a date, and, if so, what is it? Or, provide a link to a roadmap so I can monitor it myself?

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Any set date for the official VB 6?

Post by socratis »

There is no roadmap, and the developers never divulge information such as release dates.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sjointer wrote:I'd rather not install 5.2 and then watch as 6 releases a week later.
Why not? What exactly would be the downside? The time lost installing the update? Being a fraction of the time you spent posting the question?
sjointer

Post by sjointer »

mpack wrote:
sjointer wrote:I'd rather not install 5.2 and then watch as 6 releases a week later.
Why not? What exactly would be the downside? The time lost installing the update? Being a fraction of the time you spent posting the question?
Oh YEA! Another "site moderator" that's trolling the site's posters.

To answer your purported question: In most other software packages, like MySQL for example, the release of a major version is not a simple update. It involves data backup, migration preparation, uninstalling the old version, installing the new one, completing data migration, and restoring the back ups, if necessary. This is one reason why, especially for MySQL, most people do not install a major version for quite some time, simply for the issues of migration. Not every upgrade is as simple as you imply a major upgrade for VirtualBox is. I guess you haven't been into development long enough to understand that. And given that both products are under Oracle's banner, it makes all the sense in the world that a major upgrade of VirtualBox is as difficult as other Oracle products, like MySQL, for instance.

That said, it shouldn't be any regard as to why I don't want to install the current version if a major release is on it's way. It only matters that I do not wish to do so. You either know the answer and can give useful, constructive input, or stay out of the way and leave well enough alone, especially after a valid answer was already given. If you really believed that it didn't matter, stating something to the effect of upgrading from 5.2 to 6.0 isn't really a big deal should have been the end of it for you. Instead you let your self-aggrandizing, egotistical disposition interject with insults and implications of ignorance on the part of a person posting a valid question to the forum, leaving me to remind you of what your job is and what it is not.

Next, it actually will take more time for me to install VirtualBox 5.2, and then install VirtualBox 6.0 than it did to write a post asking a question which would allow me to derive whether I should install VirtualBox 5.2, or wait for VirtualBox 6.0 and install that alone. Further, installing VirtualBox 5.2 now, and then installing VirtualBox 6.0 later could introduce a number of issues, including, but not limited to: lost VM's, lost Virtual Drives, lost virtual development, lost X-String... I now have to spend time instructing a troll for a site moderator on the intricacies of and issues involved with an upgrade process, which I might very well avoid if I know that the next major release is a week away. It takes more time to teach you how to do your job as a site moderator, than it took to conceive and ask the question, read a valid answer, and then decide whether I should download and install VirtualBox 5.2. It also took you more time to light your flame thrower and fire at will than it would have taken if you would have simply said "Upgrading from one version of VirtualBox to the next isn't a big deal/isn't problematic/doesn't normally come with issues", or anything positive and constructive that would have assisted not just me, but anyone asking the question at a later date.

Here is an example of a valid answer:
socratis wrote:There is no roadmap, and the developers never divulge information such as release dates.
That is helpful, and it informs me not only of my answer, but of what to expect from developers regarding this product. I now know, just from that answer, that I'll need to install VirtualBox 5.2 if I expect to work on my project immediately, and then worry about upgrading to VirtualBox 6 when the time comes. That I will also need to make certain that I have my method for source control working for my system, just in case the upgrade to VirtualBox 6 comes with unforeseen nightmares.

I've said this before, of someone else that trolled a user for asking a question: "You're a site moderator?" Your job is to make certain that flaming and trolls are NOT on a forum that is dedicated to the advancement of a product, especially when said product is slowly losing market share. Your job is NOT to flame and troll the people posting valid questions about the product. Apparently, the fact that your name is tagged with #00FF00 makes you believe that you are some kind of deity to be worshipped. It means, ostensibly, that someone believed you have the best interests of the community in mind.

Clearly, you do not.

Obviously, this board is filled with demagogues that believe they're demi-gods. I will need to find some other forum to ask questions about virtual machine software products before making a decision on what to use. This board cannot be trusted, and I will not return.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sjointer wrote:This board cannot be trusted, and I will not return.
I'm not sure I can trust that you won't return soon, so I'm offering you a 30-day vacation from the site. Consider it a gift from me to you. Take this opportunity to reflect on what it means to have 2 out of 3 of your posts attacking the moderators. With personal insults none the less.

I should have sent your account to oblivion with such a level of trollness, but I'm in a good mood today and I believe in second chances. But, if you ever decide to come back, and I hear even a peep, anything close to a personal insult, you're going to make my "job" a whole lot easier...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.