[Resolved] Manager GUI: How do I switch back from media manager to machines list ?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Markus N.

[Resolved] Manager GUI: How do I switch back from media manager to machines list ?

Post by Markus N. »

Hi, I'm only using VirtualBox every now and then, and it has been a while since the last time ...

Now, I have a problem with the current GUI. I don't know when it was changed. I'm not even sure if my setup is just broken.

When I used it the last time, the "virtual media manager" opened in a separate window, and when I closed it, I was back in the "virtual machines list". Now, it opens in the same window, just scrolling the list to the left. But how can I go back ? In The "File" menu, there is no option for the "virtual machines list", I also looked in the general settings if there is a command I can assign a keyboard shortcut to, but I found none. Only thing I can do is close the GUI and start it again.

While asking about GUI changes ... There is another thing that changed since the last time: In the old version of the "virtual machines list", I could switch the right pane's content between "machine settings" and "snapshots". Now, there are only "snapshots". Is there a way to switch back ?

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I'm using VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126257 on an Arch Linux Host.

Thanks and Regard, Markus
Last edited by Markus N. on 11. Nov 2018, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Manager GUI: How do I switch back from media manager to machines list ?

Post by mpack »

Try clicking on the "Machine Tools" button. If necessary click the down arrow beside it to select the details view.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the v5.2 user interface either. I've tried to let it grow on me, but it just seems to be a bunch of buttons and panels scattered randomly across the window.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oh, you guys are in for a treat with 6.0.0... ;)
Beta is now available, cast your votes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Markus N.

Post by Markus N. »

I can't find the "Machine tools" button. And it's also missing in the menus.

Edit:
I've just tried to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Machine Tools", but it's not working either. Not even after a restart.

Hint: click on the attachment to see full image
Attachments
virtualbox_media_manager.png
virtualbox_media_manager.png (77.31 KiB) Viewed 6368 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That is the Virtual Media Manager dialog, not the main VM manager window, which is a different window.

You can close the media manager window.

If you need to continue this discussion then provide a VM log, any VM will do. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Markus N.

Post by Markus N. »

Yes, I know that it's the Virtual Media Manager. But it does not open as dialog, as it was in the previous versions. When I close that window, I'm out of the GUI completely.

When I start the VirtualBox GUI, I'm in the VM manager. So far, so good.

When I hit Ctrl-D or select "File" -> "Virtual Media Manager", it opens in the same window. That's why my first (and main) question was "how can I go back".

Edit:
I really don't see how a log can help here, as the problem has nothing to do with running any VM. It all happens in the selectorwindow, while switching views.
But I have a feeling that you will insist in seeing a log. Her it is: selectorwindow.log

Important: that's the only log that exists at the moment when the problem occurs.

Partial, pasted log deleted. Please follow the instructions provided above.
Last edited by mpack on 11. Nov 2018, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted unwanted twenty line log.
Markus N.

Post by Markus N. »

I accidentally stumbled on something: After reordering my virtual machines using drag and drop, the view switched to machine settings. To illustrate this, I've created two more screenshots.
So after reordering, I'm in the view I would prefer as initial view. Only sometimes, I need the "snapshots" view. But as you can see, there is no button to switch to the "snapshots" view.

So currently, I can only switch view indirectly:
If I need the "snapshots" view, I need to close and reopen the GUI.
If I need the "machine settings" view, I need to drag & drop the order of machines.
Attachments
"Machine Settings" view after reordering machines using drag and drop
"Machine Settings" view after reordering machines using drag and drop
Screenshot_virtualbox_after_changing_machine_order.png (95.45 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
"Snapshots" view after starting the GUI
"Snapshots" view after starting the GUI
Screenshot_virtualbox_after_start.png (42.17 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Right-click on the empty space in the menu line and check the box for "Show Toolbar".
Markus N.

Post by Markus N. »

OMG !!! can be soooo easy !!! Thanks a lot !!!