Booting *into* UEFI Shell

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
LaomaiWeng

Booting *into* UEFI Shell

Post by LaomaiWeng »

Hi there,

I am toying around with UEFI applications and have a UEFI executable that I want to run. I'm on a Windows 10 guest, so I mounted the EFI partition and copied my executable there.
Now I want to drop into VirtualBox's UEFI shell to run the executable.

I tried to have Windows reboot into the firmware settings, but this did not display the UEFI shell.
The only instances I know of of the UEFI shell popping up were when the boot configuration wasn't working. However mine is working perfectly, and I'd like to avoid having to break it just to get a UEFI shell.
Is this even possible with VirtualBox?

I've googled for this but if there's an answer somewhere, I fear it's lost in the sea of posts about getting *out* of the UEFI shell… :(

Thanks in advance,
LW
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Booting *into* UEFI Shell

Post by socratis »

Just press the "AnyKey" at boot. You'll drop at the EFI Manager (or something like that). Then go to "Boot Manager" » "EFI Internal Shell".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.