Compatibility problems when switching between operating systems (host)?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
VirtuMarc

Compatibility problems when switching between operating systems (host)?

Post by VirtuMarc »

Hi, Could a compatibility problem arise due to the use of the virtual machine configuration between different operating systems (host)?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Compatibility problems when switching between operating systems (host)?

Post by mpack »

Naturally. VBox files may contain absolute paths or device names. These are not portable, but they're easily fixed.

The guest OS has no idea about those problems, but it can see a change of CPU and perhaps a change of network neighborhood - so if your question is really, "will my guest software detect that the host has changed" then the answer is a solid "maybe". It depends on what checks it does.
VirtuMarc

Post by VirtuMarc »

Thank you. I will take a look at the VBox files to see if it is not tedious to make the changes manually.

Considering this, it is not something so serious. What worried me most is that this does not affect the integrity of the virtual disk file, but as you explain; this is not affected.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Nov 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtuMarc wrote:make the changes manually
Manually? Why manually? The VM Settings are not good enough? You really want to start messing with the XML files directly?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtuMarc

Post by VirtuMarc »

I can not think of another way. What other way is there to correct this in case it is not compatible between operating systems? Should I generate it again?

If it is not very complex, maybe I can configure it by hand.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, don't. Any changes that are going to be affected, as mpack told you, are 1) the shared folders, 2) the device names, i.e. bridged networking over a specific card.

Both of them are not fatal, both of them can be fixed by going to the VM Settings 1) Shared Folders, 2) Networking » Adapter #N. There's no need to manually edit the .vbox file, you might actually mess it up, avoid it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.