vinf_getopt_not_option

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
casperrem

vinf_getopt_not_option

Post by casperrem »

i donwlouded virtual box. I tried to get a Kali LInus working on it but whenever i open a file for Virtualbox i get the message vinf_getopt_not_option and then it doesn't open. Anyone with a idea how this can happen?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vinf_getopt_not_option

Post by socratis »

casperrem wrote:whenever i open a file for Virtualbox
What does that mean? What does it mean "open for VirtualBox"?

Besides clarification of the above statement, and a more detailed explanation of the situation, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
casperrem

Post by casperrem »

if i double click this kali-linux-2018.4-vbox-amd64.ova ( the file was to big to uploud) to open it i get the vinf_getopt_not_option error message.
and i can't get the list becaus i got no machine because it doesn't open.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. I deleted your duplicate post. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed.
  2. Can you post a screenshot of the error? Can you also try from the menu "File" » "Import Appliance...". Do you get the same error?
  3. Did you check that your download is not corrupt?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
casperrem

Post by casperrem »

this is the screen shot of the error and when i try to open it with the Import Appliance i can't see the file.
Attachments
this is the error
this is the error
Screenshot (1).png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
casperrem

Post by casperrem »

here is what i get when i try it with the Import Appliance
Attachments
Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 9401 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The first window that I see has the title "VirtualBox Installer". :shock:
What are you trying to do? Your description and the error messages don't match.

I think that part of the problem is that your extensions in the Windows Explorer do not show, the biggest mistake ever made by Windows and OSX. Go to the Windows Explorer Options » View tab » Hide extensions for known types: uncheck that.

Finally, in the Explorer image that you included, I see 6 torrent "Kali*" files and an OVA one, that's registered as a WinZip file, which means you can't double-click it, you need to go through the "Import Appliance" option from within VirtualBox.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Installing an OS in a vm is very similar to installing an OS in a physical machine. With a physical machine you put the installation CD/DVD in the drive and boot the machine. With a virtual machine you do much the same - you put the installation media in the optical drive and start the vm. By default it is set to boot from a floppy or optical drive.

The simplest way to do it is to start with the ISO file, which is an exact copy of the installation DVD. (One of the files in your download folder appears to be the .iso). From the Settings of the vm, go to the Storage section. You will see an empty optical drive. Select that and then click the disk icon on the right hand side. Select the option Choose Virtual Optical Disk File then select the Kali ISO file from Downloads on the host. Start the vm. It will boot into the Kali install screen.
Settings.PNG
Kali.PNG
Bill