help this problem?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Bryan K. Banton

help this problem?

Post by Bryan K. Banton »

Can you share where to get a windows os file like the one you click on on your computer?? I have a disk but when I try to use it to install in VB it o ly opens up a bunch of folders from which I have to choose which to open to install the os and I have no earthly idea. Be nice if I had a file like yours to just click on so it would install itself. I'm having huge trouble just installing an os in virtual box from a CD. This was all done for me when a dude installed Ubuntu 13 for me. he also installed VB and did the windows os install in vb as well, but now that I have upgraded to Ubuntu 14.4 I am having to do all this alone and I am LOST and having great trouble. Please help if you can. It would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: help this problem?

Post by mpack »

Please choose more descriptive topic titles, i.e. one that invites viewing by the correct people.

I am having trouble understanding your problem, particularly the part about being offered a "a bunch of folders from which I have to choose" - I don't recognize that description. Perhaps a screenshot would help.

VirtualBox creates virtual PCs, i.e. it simulates the hardware of a PC. Like any PC it will do nothing useful until you install an Operating System. OS installers typically come in a CD or ISO form. No OS installers are bundled in VirtualBox, you need to source them yourself, e.g. using Google to find an ISO image of the install CD. If you have the ISO then you should read chapter 1 of the user manual to find out what to do with it.