Using physical partition(s) with VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Anakunda
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Using physical partition(s) with VM

Post by Anakunda »

Hi, is it somehow possible to use for Windows guest's system partition a real partition on physical drive, which won't be used by host OS (and can't be unmounted while the VM is running)? I plan to build a VM with Windows 10 tied to real drive partitions, which I will later use as my main physical OS. I know a physical volume isn't the same as physical drive, but somehow I still want to use *somehow* real partitions for VM so that I could be anytime later able to make it multiboot or switch to it as new main OS on hosted machine.
I this isn't possible with VirtualBox but VMware tell me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Using physical partition(s) with VM

Post by socratis »

Anakunda wrote:which won't be used by host OS (and can't be unmounted while the VM is running)?
Could you explain that part a little bit more in detail? What does "won't be used" mean, and if it's not used, why it can't be unmounted?
Anakunda wrote:VM with Windows 10 tied to real drive partitions, which I will later use as my main physical OS
That too needs some further explanation.

What's your host OS?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Windows 8.1 → Windows 10 as VM

I plan to reserve dedicated partition(s) for the VM for exclusive use ( I mean host OS will not use the partitions by self during VM running ).

Simpy avoiding virtual volume and using physical partition by the guest OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The procedure involves using the "rawdisk" feature, and you won't find too many people giving you advice, because of the inherent danger of screwing up (royally!) your hard drive.

Why do you want to use the actual partition? Do you have a really good reason?

And, please when I'm asking for explanation/details/clarification, don't reply with a shorter message than your initial post! You create more questions than you answer... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

I have not much details, sorry :)

My roamer is now to create clean Windows installation as hosted VM, set up, configure, migrate applications from existing system and use it for a while as secondary virtualized OS for testing and when everything will be OK, I want to make this installation the primary OS of my computer. That means from that on making the physical PC boot into it when it's powered up.

For this scenario I supposed avoiding virtualized drive would be necessary as physical PC can only boot to nonvirtual filesystems.

If you have better solution please suggest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It seems to me that you want to go from London to Liverpool via Kyoto!
Why don't you simply install the OS straight on the 2nd partition and forget about it?
The way that you're thinking of, is convoluted, difficult, dangerous and error prone. I would not recommend it.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

I know I can install the OS as regular OS, but I wanted to launch it virtualized as OS in OS.
If that's not possible, then nevermind. Btw. isn't this possible with VMware?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Anakunda wrote:I know I can install the OS as regular OS, but I wanted to launch it virtualized as OS in OS.
If you want to do it as an exercise, I don't think that anyone can stop you. Or help you... ;)
Anakunda wrote:Btw. isn't this possible with VMware?
No clue. You need to ask them.