Doubt about using physical hard drive with W7

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Einkenberry

Doubt about using physical hard drive with W7

Post by Einkenberry »

Good morning dear friends, companion of the community .. I have a doubt and I will explain to you I hope you understand me. forgive me my english since I use a translator because I speak spanish.

the problem is the following, I have a hard drive that used in my old computer is an amd. now portable use. there is some way to emulate the system of windows 7 in the virtual box but with the system that I already have in the hard disk. I mean it works for me as if I had my old computer with all my files and settings? I appreciate your collaboration with respect. happy day god bless you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Doubt about using physical hard drive with W7

Post by socratis »

Einkenberry wrote: there is some way to emulate the system of windows 7 in the virtual box but with the system that I already have in the hard disk. I mean it works for me as if I had my old computer with all my files and settings?
What you need to do is called "Physical-to-Virtual" (or P2V), which is to take a Physical computer and make a Virtual Machine from it.
  • Use Disk2VHD, a Microsoft tool, to save your physical disk in the VHD format.
  • Convert the VHD to VDI, which is native to VirtualBox. You can either read ch 8.24. VBoxManage clonemedium, or use the nice CloneVDI utility to do so.
  • Create a new VM as close to the original as possible. When prompted for a disk, choose the VDI you just created.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.