Shared folders and privelages

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Circuits

Shared folders and privelages

Post by Circuits »

I mounted a folder shared between my host and my VM:

sudo mount -t vboxsf sandbox ~/sandbox

the folder has the little lock symbol on it. I have access but when I try to run one of the python scripts in the folder it complains about sudo privileges. How do I get rid of the lock symbol? I already tried navigating to the directory where sandbox is located and typed:

sudo chown -R $robert:$robert sandbox

it asked me for my password and then it just stalled out, any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared folders and privelages

Post by socratis »

• Did you add yourself to the 'vboxsf' group? Did you logout/login again? Can you verify that you are a member with the 'id' command?
  • VirtualBox's Shared Folders present a very simplified file system implementation, just enough to read/write files from/to the guest. Many applications can error when using Shared Folders, because they expect advanced features, for example file locking, access controls, etc., which don't exist as a concept for Shared Folders.
  • I would use a a true network share (SaMBa, NFS) for advanced filesystem features.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.