How to install a program in virtual box

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ridzamnto

How to install a program in virtual box

Post by ridzamnto »

Hello guys, so I just installed windows98 in my windows 10. I'm planning to install a browser called irider in my win98 but I don't know how to do it. I have the .exe file in my win10 but I can't seem to move it into my win98 directory. I try the drag and drop but it won't let me dropping it inside my virtual box, I tried to copy it into my win 98 virtual disk but can't seem to do it since I only found red box icon inside my win 98 virtual disk directory and don't know how to open it....

note : I'm not really tech savvy guy so I'm hoping you can use an easy to understand term in your answer ._.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to install a program in virtual box

Post by socratis »

Getting things in and out of a Win9x guest is not the easiest thing in the world. Drag'n'Drop won't work, because there are no Guest Additions for Win9x. Same with the shared folders. And finally, to rub some salt on the wounds, standard Windows networking between a Win10 and a Win9x computer is usually a no-go.

What you could do however is to put your files in an ISO. Then you could mount that ISO in your Win9x guest and you're done. There are a lot of programs that can do this. I use ImgBurn, your mileage may vary.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.