Designing Hosts

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
selezeus

Designing Hosts

Post by selezeus »

Hi everybody.

I'm thinking to install a Linux server with VirtualHost for server between 15 and 20 guests running in Linux.

Question. What is the hardware characteristics for the server.? and an affordable server, because the server and the guest are for a public school.

Regards everybody.
selezeus

Re: Designing Hosts

Post by selezeus »

Sorry I mistake, the guest are running windows 7.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Remember that simple rule:
  • Total CPUs for your guests Host CPUs + 1.
  • Total RAM+vRAM+overhead for your guests Host available RAM + some.
So, if you want to run 15 to 20 guests, that won't look like an affordable server if you want it to have more than 15 cores and (assuming 1 GB per guest) more than 20 GB of RAM...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
selezeus

Post by selezeus »

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

RAM doesn't look problematic, I can have 256 Gb RAM.

But about cores, Do you know any processor with more than 15 cores?. (This question can look not very clever but ago 10 years I'm outside hardware market.)

Regards. Jose.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

selezeus wrote:Do you know any processor with more than 15 cores?. (This question can look not very clever but ago 10 years I'm outside hardware market.)
Well, I don't, but Google seems to know plenty of systems. ;)

A quick search for "24 core computer" returns plenty of results, including a video titled "24 Core Gaming Computer For Under $500"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.