Lab Network Virtualization with OpenVAS

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
jjacec

Lab Network Virtualization with OpenVAS

Post by jjacec »

Diagram for 2 servers with one VA Scanner in separate subnets.png
Diagram for 2 servers with one VA Scanner in separate subnets.png (44.05 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
I'm looking to hear any advice for setting up a lab environment. I drawn up a simple diagram (attached), but basically this is what I hope to create.

3 subnets, and one router that "holds" them.

Subnet A > arbitrary servers

Subnet B > arbitrary servers

Subnet C > VA scanner that scans subnet A, B

I'm thinking of using Vbox to do it, but I don't have much knowledge about how I should do it.

I'm also thinking to use GNS3 to simulate Subnet A, B, and then have Vbox to spin up OpenVAS, hopefully Vbox can speak to GNS3 (does it work?)

Or is there a simpler way of simulating this? My goal is to virtualize 3 subnets, one of which could conduct VA scans on the other 2 subnets.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and if you could be more detailed on how this can be achieved would be really really really great :)

Thanks in advance!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Lab Network Virtualization with OpenVAS

Post by BillG »

It is simple enough to create virtual networks and also easy enough to run a virtual router to connect them. You simply install the router appliance of your choice in a vm with one virtual NIC per subnet. I have emulated more complex networks than that in VirtualBox.

I have never used GNS3 so I have no idea if that would be simpler.
Bill