Burning audio CDs

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
cjb111

Burning audio CDs

Post by cjb111 »

I am running Windows XP inside Virtual Box so that I can continue using an application that has not been supported since XP. My host is a Windows 10 PC. I have my host optical drive mapped to the SATA controller of the VM. For the attributes of the virtual drive I have checked the “Passthrough” checkbox so XP can write to my drive.

The application I am running generates an audio image and burns it to the CD. It worked fine for a long time. With Virtual Box 5.1, it hung after (successfully) burning the CD – irritating, but not a problem. With 5.2, the burning will not even start.

While trying to fix this problem, I noticed for the first time that the tooltip for the Passthrough checkbox includes the sentence “Note that writing audio CD inside the VM is not yet supported”. (I don’t think this is addressed anywhere in the user manual). It says this for both 5.1.38 and 5.2.18. Why, then, did it always work for me in the past? And what does “not yet supported” mean – when will it be supported?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Burning audio CDs

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has only ever supported data CDs, not audio CDs, so I very much doubt this "has always worked for you in the past". Though I guess that it's possible that it worked with a particular drive in passthrough mode. Still not a supported feature though. In fact VirtualBox generally doesn't support CD burning at all.

Why not just put PCM or MP3 files on a data CD? What device do you have that still insists on an actual audio CD?