Open a crypted vdi image on other directory

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
iamaman

Open a crypted vdi image on other directory

Post by iamaman »

hi , thanks,

I have a vdi file(windows 7 OS,Win7.vdi) , i have encrypt Win7.vdi with AES-XTS256-PLAIN64, i move it D partition to E partition,and renew Win7_x64.vdi, open it with virtualbox, and tell me, need set new uuid, so i run [VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid Win7_x64.vdi]. use virtualbox open again, tell [FATAL : No bootable medium found! System halted].
How can i use the Win7_x64.vdi under virtualbox? Thanks.

1> Change the VDI UUID
2> Encrypt with AES-XTS256-PLAIN64. ( i remember the old password)
3> rename the VDI file name.

thank you, thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Open a crypted vdi image on other directory

Post by mpack »

If you want to move a VM, move the VM, not just one file from the folder. This is at the root of your trouble. Lots of other troubles are possible. Howto: Move a VM.

I don't use the VM encryption feature built into VirtualBox. Is that what we're talking about here? If yes then the password is not used to decrypt the VDI file, the password is used to decrypt the real data encryption key stored in the .vbox file. If you don't have the .vbox file then you have nothing. Without the true decrypt key the data on the drive will be unrecoverable, indeed that's the whole point of encrypting a VM.

If you are referring to a third party decryption product then you need to go to that party for decryption support.