cannot find vdi files

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
confuse

cannot find vdi files

Post by confuse »

I have deleted the virtual machine as well as the virtual box. But I forgot to restore back the disc space allocated to the virtual machine. I have searched many ways but none of them works. I cant even find the virtual disc image file on my computer. What should i do to restore the disc space? I really need the disk space. :oops:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: cannot find vdi files

Post by socratis »

Search your computer for all files that have the *.vdi, *.sav* and *.iso extensions. Delete them. Start with the "VirtualBox VMs" folder in your home directory.

What you did is that you removed the VM, but you selected "Remove only" and not the "Delete all files". Or, you simply uninstalled VirtualBox and you thought that your VMs would be gone with it as well. They don't. It's like uninstalling iTunes and expect that all your MP3s will be deleted as well...

BTW, this does not belong to the "Windows Guests" section, moving to "Using VirtualBox", since I have not the faintest idea what your host or your guests were. Well, maybe I can guess that it was a Windows guest...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.