[Solved] How to simulate this network setup?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Invalid nick name

[Solved] How to simulate this network setup?

Post by Invalid nick name »

I have 2 computers:
1. Notebook, Windows 7, wifi and ethernet cards, sharing wireless internet connection through ethernet via cable to desktop computer.
2. Desktop computer, Windows, Linux, ethernet card, connected to internet via cable attached to notebook ethernet port.
On notebook I could monitor network traffic on both cards - wifi and ethernet - with wireshark.

How could I virtualize this setup so there would be 2 guests on host:
1. "Notebook" with 2 nic's (1 nic would be probably the default NAT)
2. "Desktop" with 1 nic, connected to "Notebook" via imaginary cable connection and able to reach internet only through "Notebook"

The main idea of this is to set up a virtual network monitor (wireshark) on "Notebook", which gathers both "Notebook" and "Desktop" traffic, but allows me independently, without monitoring use network on host.
Last edited by Invalid nick name on 14. Aug 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to simulate this network setup?

Post by socratis »

You can use NAT, NATservice or Bridged on the "Notebook" to get internet access through the host. You also add a 2nd NIC, and you set it to Internal networking. On the "Desktop" you install one NIC and you set it to Internal networking.

Mind you that by default the Internal networking does not have a DHCP server. So, either you create a DHCP server for the Internal network, or you assign the IPs on the "Desktop" and the "Notebook" manually.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Invalid nick name

Re: How to simulate this network setup?

Post by Invalid nick name »

Ok, got it to work finally. Actually no work needed to be done. Just "reset" them all and made sure both guests had the same internal network :)

Here is the setup if anyone wonders:
  • Guest 1 - Windows 7
    • NAT (internet connection sharing)
    • Internal networking (ip-s and stuff auto assigned/configured via NAT internet connection sharing)
  • Guest 2 - Windows / Linux
    • Internal networking (no manual tinkering)
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2018, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] How to simulate this network setup?

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for letting us know. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.