error loading operating system

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Jmh474

error loading operating system

Post by Jmh474 »

First off I would like to say hello to everyone, first post.

So my problem is that a friend of mine uses vmware and created a xp system, and exported it for me to use on vb but when I come to run the system I get the following error msg on but up "error loading operating system".

I'm a little new to all the virtual systems so a little advice would be great.

The system is windows xp - sp3 I think - Iv not changed anything as yet.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: error loading operating system

Post by socratis »

Jmh474 wrote:First off I would like to say hello to everyone, first post.
Welcome!
Jmh474 wrote:uses vmware and created a xp system, and exported it for me
That depends on how they exported it, what format, ... We can't know the details of the transaction. If you can put the OVA/OVF file somewhere private and send me the link via PM, I could try and see what might be going on. But remember, there are two parts that have to be correct for the whole experiment to work: 1) export, 2) import.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jmh474

Post by Jmh474 »

Sorry I didn't think my friend would appreciate me sharing the system and it has sensitive and personal files as it's a work system, is there anything I should look into to help me with this process.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not with the amount of information given. Sorry...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jmh474

Post by Jmh474 »

What other information would you need thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't even know what you're trying to import, how the export was done, nothing. I'm in the dark. You tell me, if I come and tell you "my computer won't start", will you be able to diagnose what's wrong? Remotely? That's why I asked to see the exported format. I don't even know what that format is...
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Jmh474 wrote:What other information would you need thanks
Let's start with some simple things... your friend will have given you one or more files, give us a list of the file names with extensions of what they gave to you.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Jmh474

Post by Jmh474 »

I have 3 files in total

Windows xp professional .mf - 1kb
Windows xp professional .ovfp - 7kb
Windows xp professional-disk1 .vmdk - 527,092kb
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The .mf file is just a manifest and I believe is optional and can be ignored.

I'm not sure whether a .ovfp file differs from a .ovf file but that is the definition of the virtual computer and is what gets imported into VirtualBox along with the .vmdk file which is the disk image for the guest.

When you import it into VirtualBox you may find that some of the settings differ to VMWare. Transferring a Windows XP hard disk between physical motherboards was always particularly prone to not starting and it will be no different in the virtual domain.

As per the earlier request by Socratis, can you zip the .ovfp file you have and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.