[Fixed] VBoxManage encryption cmd not working (#17905)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
AIla

[Fixed] VBoxManage encryption cmd not working (#17905)

Post by AIla »

ModEdit; related ticket: #17905: Minor typo in user manual section 8.26.
Hi all,
I'm trying to encrypt VM disk by using a temporary file on disk. The file is simply made of a line with a password (I couldn't find any particular sintax to be used). The following command throws an error

Code: Select all

C:\Users\x>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"  encryptmedium 4973def3-bd53-409d-ae1b-5fe29f56faa7 --newpassword C:\Temp\encrypt_passwd --cipher AES-AXTS256-PLAIN64 --newpasswordid test
C:\Users\x>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" -v
5.2.12r122591
Based on Windows 10

Any idea on the root cause?
Last edited by socratis on 1. Aug 2018, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxManage encryption cmd not working

Post by socratis »

You didn't say what the error is. You need to give both the command and the output. "An error" can be a lot of things...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Looks like you found a typo in the Vbox Manual chapter 8.26.
There the cipher is spelled "AES-AXTS256-PLAIN64", but it should be "AES-XTS256-PLAIN64" like discribed in chapter 9.31.2
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. I'll raise a bugtracker ticket for that.
Done: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17905
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll notify the devs over IRC, chances are the fix will be in the tree within 5'. I don't think it's worth raising a ticket for an ... extra letter. :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AIla

Re: VBoxManage encryption cmd not working (#17905)

Post by AIla »

Thx
In case someone else encounter the same, this is the error
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to encrypt hard disk
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to load the encryption filter: (VERR_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80bb0007), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleEncryptMedium(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 1890 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VBoxManage encryption cmd not working (#17905)

Post by socratis »

Hmm.... that's not what I expected the error to be. I'd expect something like "Wrong parameter", "Unknown option", or something like that.

In any event the ticket is now Closed, the fix is in and it will appear 99% in the next release 5.2.18, if everything goes according to plan. Marking as [Fixed].