Inaccessible - Everything greyed out.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
DrOctavius

Inaccessible - Everything greyed out.

Post by DrOctavius »

Hi, so my virtual box has been working fine but today i woke up and opened it up and first thing i see is that it's listed as 'inaccessible', although my other vms are working fine, it's just this particular one which i use everyday, i don't really use the others at all. Anyways i don't remember doing much, all i remember is that i powered it off and i might have clicked the x button and closed it again.
I've attached a picture of the error, i really do need urgent assistance as i have work that needs completing that i must access on the vm today. Thank you.
Attachments
Screenshot_9.png
Screenshot_9.png (67.38 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Inaccessible - Everything greyed out.

Post by socratis »

Did you read the error? Where it says "File not found"? I think it's pretty obvious what's going on: the file isn't there.

Can you check for its existence? Is there a "virtualmachine1.vbox" or a "vbox-prev" file in that location?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

I'm not sure why the error is stating the F: drive? Yes those two files are there, i'm assuming the virtualbox application is for some reason trying to access the wrong drive? i don't even have F: i think.
Attachments
screenshot2.png
screenshot2.png (98.57 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Rename the .vbox-prev file to .vbox

The reference to drive F: in the error dialog is from the VirtualBox build process not your VM.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

Ok seems i've fixed the error. i simply changed the file name to what the error was stating and deleted the "-prev" at the end of the file name and it's now working. Thank you for your assistance, my bad i did not think hard enough.
edit: just read your comment, atleast my brain started working before i got spoonfed by you :-D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ignore the line with the F:\ path, that indicates where in the build tree is the source file which generated the error. The only path you need to care about is the one to your .vbox file.

Speaking of which, I see no "virtualmachine1.vbox" file in that folder. Shut down VirtualBox, go to the folder and rename "virtualmachine1.vbox-tmp" to "virtualmachine1.vbox". This problem indicates that the front end crashed last time before saving changed settings.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah. Too late. Renaming .vbox-tmp would have been better as that's the more up to date instance. Renaming .vbox-prev usually works, it depends on what (if any) settings were changed in the last run.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

This might also be a prudent time to remind you of the importance of having backups of both important files within the guest and also the guest itself. Not everything is this easy to solve and when your vm contains urgent work that needs completing you don't want to take the risk...

...but then you knew that already, didn't you! :D

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.