no disk found

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Johnb42

no disk found

Post by Johnb42 »

Hello. an image I made in Virtual Box apparently had no hard disk; under 'storage' in Settings, it showed a SATA controller and no hard disk. I'm pretty sure I remember making/choosing one. A .vmdk, I believe. I mean - I must have made one, right? How else could I have started the VM? How could I have saved anything if the Virtual Machine had no hard disk? Right? Does that make sense?

So anyway, I make one, and it shows up as ridiculously small, something like 10 MB. When I try to upload to my image server, it tells me my disk has no partitions. It seems clear that this 'disk' I added is not formatted, has no OS, nothing.

But again, how is this possible? If the VM had no hard disk, what the heck was I doing, saving snapshots and so forth? Why did it behave like a working machine inside VirtualBox?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: no disk found

Post by BillG »

When you create a new hard drive it will be very small because it has nothing in it.

If your vm has no virtual hard drive, the file which was your hard drive has probably been moved or deleted. Creating a new empty one will not solve anything. If you cannot find the virtual hard drive and put it back where it should be (and re-attach it) you might as well delete everything and start again.
Bill