Error "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution", need help.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Boriska

Error "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution", need help.

Post by Boriska »

I'm getting this error while trying to play a game in the VM, the only "solutions" I found around were, to update the graphics card drivers, or thick the option "disable fullscreen optimizations" on the compatibility tab.
-The game has a launcher.
-The option "disable fullscreen optimizations" doesn't show on either the launcher nor the game itself compatibility tab.
-I Can't seem to change the options on the game's compatibility tab, but I can change them on the launcher's, already tried thicking every option there.
-The game works fine on host, and can both be started from the launcher, or directly.
-In the VM, I can open the launcher, but when I try to start the game I get that error, also happen if I try to start the game directly.

Anybody can think of something else I could try?

Btw, Host win7 sp1 64bit, guest win7 sp1 64bit.
Error
Error
coldnt.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
launcher compatibility tab
launcher compatibility tab
col launcher.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
game compatibility tab
game compatibility tab
col game.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Error "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution", need help.

Post by andyp73 »

The top image suggests that the game is trying to use DirectX 11(DX11). With the Guest Additions installed then VirtualBox provides Direct3D (the graphics handling portion of DirectX) 8/9 support. There is no Direct3D 11 support as yet and the devs don't tell us what may or may not be getting added to VirtualBox, or indeed when.

Virtualisation and games aren't always the best of bed fellows and so you may not get very far.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Boriska

Post by Boriska »

Here goes the log file.
Attachments
win7 -2018-07-25-01-48-32.rar
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't see any obvious errors in the VM configuration. I see several display size changes, which look like they were executed normally to me.

You should certainly pay attention to whether the game requires DirectX11. It's also possible that the game is trying to switch to a display mode that VirtualBox can't provide while using accelerated graphics.