Mouse not visible in VM even after it is captured

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
AkshyaNachu

Mouse not visible in VM even after it is captured

Post by AkshyaNachu »

Hi,

Have installed Virtual box 5.1.12 in windows and installed RHEL 7.2 VM.
Once started the VN, Install RHEL 7.2 is visible and keyboard is working. But mouse is not working though it is captured. Not able to click any thing in VM or cant even see the mouse cursor.

Please help!!

- Akshaya
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mouse not visible in VM even after it is captured

Post by mpack »

Install the Guest Additions. See Chapter 4 of the User Manual. Only "unsupported" guests need to think in terms of capturing the mouse.

And I hope that by "capturing" you didn't mean to create a USB filter that matches the host mouse, as that would certainly stop it working. Applications on your host PC (such as VirtualBox) do not need to be individually told to use the mouse, it is a shared resource available to all host apps plus the host OS itself.
AkshyaNachu

Post by AkshyaNachu »

Hi,

When I click "Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD image" in VM Box, no other dialog box is opened or even no errors are thrown. How to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!

- Akshaya
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What dialog box were you expecting to see? All you did was insert a CD. What happens next depends on what the guest OS normally does when a CD is inserted. Many OS's will do nothing, but I don't use RHEL so I can't tell you what you should see.

Not a problem, if the guest OS doesn't take automatic action then just browse to the guest CD and take manual action instead.

Again, see chapter 4 on how to install the Guest Additions drivers into a Linux guest.