Upgrading the video card on a VM?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Shift23

Upgrading the video card on a VM?

Post by Shift23 »

I am trying to play a game on Virtual Box, I have win 7 sp1 32bit installed and working. When I try to install my game it gives an error that my graphics card is not capable of running it. (it is a game from very early 2000 so it isnt demanding at all.) I have my memory set to 256, and 3d and 2d acceleration turned on. Is there anything else I can do to boost the graphics? (The the game is everquest.)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Upgrading the video card on a VM?

Post by socratis »

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit hence the strict requirements for the graphics card (GPU) specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shift23

Post by Shift23 »

I installed a win10 machine and got EQ working, but it didnt work well. I assumed the OS was eating a lot of the VM's resources so I deleted it and tried win7, and now I am getting this error.

Maybe Win7 doesnt have the virtual graphics capability as win10?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For Win7, you have two options when you enable "Direct3D support" at the Guest Additions installation. You are asked if you want to install the Direct3D drivers or not (and install the WDDM drivers instead). Maybe you selected "Yes" in that dialog. Try to install the GAs again, but select "No" this time, to install the WDDM ones.

If you want to install the Direct3D drivers you need to start Win7 in safe mode (press F8 at the BIOS screen) in order to do it. You do not need to boot into safe mode if you are going to install the WDDM drivers.

There's only one way to know for sure; start the VM, login, shutdown the VM, right-click on the VM, "Show Log". ZIP and post the VBox.log only.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shift23

Post by Shift23 »

Thanks for the help.